Sound card to external dac/amp

woox

A friend of mine suggested that I could get much better audio quality by connectiing a dac/amp combo to a sound card via digital connection (?). I am not very good with audio so I just wanted to make sure about the results before buying anything. Also what digital connection can I make between the dac and the sound card?

Thanks a lot!

A sound card is a dac/amp so connecting both together would be pointless. Just connect the external to your motherboard audio

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

A sound card is a dac/amp so connecting both together would be pointless. Just connect the external to your motherboard audio

I read somewhere that very few soundcards have amps... and the quality is supposed to be much better.

An external Dac/Amp is a better solution as it's isolated from the computer.

They will also tend to have better components as well, but don't go crazy!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I read somewhere that very few soundcards have amps... and the quality is supposed to be much better.

All sound cards have amps, that's how your headphones get powered. Connecting a soundcard to an external amp/dac is like connecting an engine to a car trailer. Bad analogy but its not needed.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

What makes you think you need better quality?

Maybe he wants a better amp, amps on onboard aren't that great, dolby atmos is pretty cool.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

what type of headphones/ speakers are you using ? this is more relevent than having a badass external sound card.

Maybe he wants a better amp, amps on onboard aren't that great, dolby atmos is pretty cool.

Yes, that's why I asked what made them think they needed better quality than what they already had.

audio quality is a hard "thing" to qualify. what is good quality, what is not. good quality for me is a u87 a 192k 24bit. but for someone else, it could be a simple mp3 @ 192kbps.

One way to connect the two is if you use the SPDIF output as a data link layer and transport the audio signal over a TOSLink cable and run it to an external DAC.  In this case your sound card is not doing the DAC, it's transporting it to another device outside the computer to do the DAC.  This can also be achieved with a USB sound card which moves the DAC outside the computer environment.

You can potentially get better audio quality this way assuming the audio components you are connecting to are of good quality and the source of your audio is of high quality (FLAC audio files at higher sample rates and bit depth for example).  This is how I run my audio on my workstation.  I use the SPDIF optical output and run that to my Marantz AV7005 receiver to do the DAC.  My AV7005 drives a pair of self-amplified Emotiva Airmotiv 4 monitors and a Power Sound Audio XS15 subwoofer.  This moves the audio processing outside and away from the noisy computer environment and also allows me to do better bass management and room correction.  I can also have the receiver/DAC decode higher bitrates like 96KHz 24-bit etc whereas the internal sound card probably can't.  The DAC also supports things like 7.1 decoding, etc if you're into that sort of thing but you might need to move to an HDMI cable to get the better audio of a bluray for example.

Workstation 1: Intel i7 4790K | Thermalright MUX-120 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | 32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27 ( 4 x 8GB) | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HGST 4TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 2 x HGST 6TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 1 x Samsung 1TB 7.2KRPM | Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold | Fractal Design Define R4 | Win 8.1 64-bit
NAS 1: Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 | SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O | 32GB RAM DDR3L ECC (8GBx4) | 12 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB (boot/OS) | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 128GB (ZIL + L2ARC) | Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold | Rosewill RSV-L4411 | Xubuntu 14.10

Notebook: Lenovo T500 | Intel T9600 | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB

audio quality is a hard "thing" to qualify. what is good quality, what is not. good quality for me is a u87 a 192k 24bit. but for someone else, it could be a simple mp3 @ 192kbps.

That's why the term "fidelity" is used a lot in audio, it is somewhat less subjective.