i5 4690k gpu limits?

Jengo
Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

it can support dual GTX980s, R9 290X

but just don't try to be funny and run dual Titan Zs or dual R9 295x2 with your i5

Hello everyone.

I wast just wondering what type of gpu setup can the i5 4690k handle without getting a bottleneck of any significance?
Also a little side question, do any of you have any experience with overclocking this cpu, and if so how far did you get it to go, and what performance gains did you see?

Thank you very much :)

Anything that currently exists.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

but just don't try to be funny and run dual Titan Zs or dual R9 295x2 with your i5

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I was not planning on doing that, haha :D I just wanted to know what i should expect to be able to run on it in the future ;)

I would actually argue that you could run those, because quad cards are rarely supported so it won't matter if it bottlenecks a tiny bit.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Overclocking helps in certain CPU bound games, most games, overclocking doesn't help, but in the games that do benefit from overclocking, they benefit greatly.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Hello everyone.

I wast just wondering what type of gpu setup can the i5 4690k handle without getting a bottleneck of any significance?

Also a little side question, do any of you have any experience with overclocking this cpu, and if so how far did you get it to go, and what performance gains did you see?

Thank you very much :)

That depends on the resolution...at 1080p stick to single high-end card (GTX 970 or GTX 980, R9 290/290X) as those are plenty you'll get good performance...

For 1440p put two of those same GPU's in the cart.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That depends on the resolution...at 1080p stick to single high-end card (GTX 970 or GTX 980, R9 290/290X) as those are plenty you'll get good performance...

For 1440p put two of those same GPU's in the cart.

I have the AOC g24pqu While it may be a 144hz monitor I am fine at 60Hz (1920*1080 24")

I currently just have a 7870 @ 1170Mhz on the core and 5000mhz on the ram, I was however thinking about the new r9 300 cards, but let us see what they bring ;)