Quietest Computer Case

nemanjac

Hi Guys,

I've been following Linus's channel for a long long time, even though I couldn't buy new hardware I still liked watching.

Some time ago my GPU died (GTX570) along with my 24" monitor so I ended up using Intel HD graphics on my i7 2700k and using some old TFT via DSUB.

After 4 months, I've finally got some cash on me and I've decided to buy Gigabyte GTX770-OC and DELL U2312HM.

My current setup:

Intel Core i7 2700KASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3Kingston HyperX 16GBIntel SSD 240GB Series 520 / 1 TB WD Green / 640 GB WD Black / 320 GB WDLiteOn DVD-RWSeasonic 850WChieftec Matrix TXViewSonic VA2216w

I'm looking to transfer my current setup and new GPU into a new computer case. The only thing that I'm interested in at this point is to silent my computer as much as possible.

Cases that are avaliable to me:

• Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • NZXT Source 530 Black
  • Cooler Master Silencio 652S
  • Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey Window
  • Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
  • NZXT H440 Black/Orange
  • Thermaltake Urban S71 Black
  • Cooler Master Storm Trooper

I can purchase any of them, I just need to know which one is the quietest.

I like the H440, its pretty quite but its just my personal preference 

Despite being the president and CEO of the CM Storm Trooper club, that is not a silent case.  Any of the cases with a window are not silent.  Most likely the black Define R4.

Define R4. However, the "loudness" of a case is dependent on the fans that are being used.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Get quiet fans. The Define R4 and H440 are the quietest but their fans aren't actually 'quiet-tier' fans.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hi Guys,

I've been following Linus's channel for a long long time, even though I couldn't buy new hardware I still liked watching.

Some time ago my GPU died (GTX570) along with my 24" monitor so I ended up using Intel HD graphics on my i7 2700k and using some old TFT via DSUB.

After 4 months, I've finally got some cash on me and I've decided to buy Gigabyte GTX770-OC and DELL U2312HM.

My current setup:

Intel Core i7 2700KASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3Kingston HyperX 16GBIntel SSD 240GB Series 520 / 1 TB WD Green / 640 GB WD Black / 320 GB WDLiteOn DVD-RWSeasonic 850WChieftec Matrix TXViewSonic VA2216w

I'm looking to transfer my current setup and new GPU into a new computer case. The only thing that I'm interested in at this point is to silent my computer as much as possible.

• NZXT Source 530 Black
  • NZXT H440 Black/Orange

ummmmmmmmmm. fractal design define r5 is out btw. probably the fractal design.   Nzxt is kinda dumb cause the vents are on the side so it u put ur case on the right side of the desk, you will hear the fans if u have there. (woah what a long run on) EDIT: imho h440 looks like a refrigerator

WOW, I can only say WOW! What a re sponse time. Thanks guys! :) Really.

Quick update, I wont be purchasing anything out of stock packaging nor I will overclock the CPU or the GPU. So, thats a small point.

Hi Guys,

My current setup:

• NZXT Source 530 Black
  • NZXT H440 Black/Orange

The key to make a system as quiet as possible are the following:

1. Low Noise Fans
  2. Remove vibration from moving components and the case (fans, pumps, mechanical HDDs, etc)
  3. Add thin foam to the side panels to insulate the sound...May have to adjust this to balance soundproofness and airflow.

The Define or Silencio. The H440 is good, but windows are bad for silence.

EDIT: H440 without window is something I'd recommend.

EDIT #2: H630 is the correct name.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

The Define or Silencio. The H440 is good, but windows are bad for silence.

There is a windowsless version of the H440

nzxt h44o is the queitest but if you want a truly quiet chassis, be quiets silent 800 is the best

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Did not know that. I'll edit my post to include it.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

nzxt h44o is the queitest but if you want a truly quiet chassis, be quiets silent 800 is the best

The Silent Base 800 is one of the only 'actually quiet' cases.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Did not know that. I'll edit my post to include it.

Windows less H440 is the H630

The Silent Base 800 is one of the only 'actually quiet' cases.

Not available for purchase in my area. :(

I'm just watching Linus and it DEFINE R4 Black Pearl is the winner.

Windows less H440 is the H630

The H630 isn't a windowless H440. They are different cases.

Not available for purchase in my area.  :(

I'm just watching Linus and it DEFINE R4 Black Pearl is the winner.

The fit and finish of the H440 feels better. I'd get that personally if the price was similar.

Either way, quiet fans make a quiet system. The H440 and Define R4 actually aren't that quiet.

I would avoid the GTX770, as it only has 2GB of VRAM.  As a minimum, you should be buying a card with 3GB of VRAM for games now and in the future.  An R9 290 usually costs the same as the 770, and boasts 4GB of VRAM, and performs closer to a GTX780.  If that is too rich, an R9 280(X) should be your card of choice.  The 770 is just not a good deal looking towards the future.

As far as silent cases go, just be aware that with silence optimized cases comes bad airflow, keep that in mind.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The H630 isn't a windowless H440. They are different cases.

The fit and finish of the H440 feels better. I'd get that personally if the price was similar.

Either way, quiet fans make a quiet system. The H440 and Define R4 actually aren't that quiet.

No they arnt, its the same case but windows less and a different front i/o

No they arnt, its the same case but windows less and a different front i/o

They clearly aren't the same case. They're not even the same size.

fa3ca3c8b9d14547bdada4b6ce43f6ac.png

They clearly aren't the same case. They're not even the same size.

fa3ca3c8b9d14547bdada4b6ce43f6ac.png

Maybe he needs more space...

To wrap things up, since I already made my mind.

I will be getting the Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Perl + one additional 120mm R2 fan (by Fractal Design) so it would go nicely with the fan controller. The case fan controller supports up to 3 fans. The ones that are in the case are 140mm, but I can only purchase the 120mm.

I would avoid the GTX770, as it only has 2GB of VRAM.  As a minimum, you should be buying a card with 3GB of VRAM for games now and in the future.  An R9 290 usually costs the same as the 770, and boasts 4GB of VRAM, and performs closer to a GTX780.  If that is too rich, an R9 280(X) should be your card of choice.  The 770 is just not a good deal looking towards the future.

As far as silent cases go, just be aware that with silence optimized cases comes bad airflow, keep that in mind.

I'm not all that into gaming, I play Civilization 5 and Batman games, and thats about it. GTX570 was doing a great job for me, until it died. So I know I will be happy with the 20-30% increase of power from the new GPU.

Also, I like nVidia, even though they screwed me on my MacBook Pro. All I'm interested is a quiet PC. Right now Chieftec MatrixTX that I own has no sound isolation so I believe R4 would be a great choice.