Raspberry Pi for programming

iHammmy

Hello,

Firstly, I am unsure whether this is in the right section or not, but oh well... 

I was looking through the forums and stumbled upon numerous posts saying that the Raspberry Pi is good to practice programming on. I am unsure as to why this as couldn't you just programme on your main PC? 

Any help and examples would be great :)

Thanks in advance,

~ Harry

It seems impossible until it's done.

Raspberry Pi is great for little projects, but the main selling point is the price, your PC is so many more times capable than a Raspberry pi.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

You can programme on your main PC without a problem.Your PC is  actually way way better.

The only reason to do that is if you don't have a computer. The raspberry pi is very very cheap :D

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

you can program on your pc but a raspberry pie

can be used as a media PC or all kinds of projects

and the Raspberry pie is just a cheep small PC

The intention is lower level projects. The Pi has GPIO and other easily accessible features. One would not expect to be writing a fully featured n-tier application on the Pi. It's specifications are simply not intended for such an undertaking. One would however expect to write something the deals with IO; interfacing to other hardware; a camera for example or some sensors/telemetry even robotics - it could drive a control loop. Think low level protocol implementation/experimentation.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Dont, I have one and it is really slow for heavy tasks. I would recommend just using a VM.

The Pi is pretty great for robotics or automation projects. It's great for learning the ins and outs of robotics but for general programming I would probably just stick with a pc.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I think you can just programm well in your PC too. No argument that RPi is a great device to explore and you can even make an HTPC using that small boy. But even then, PC is much better. I don't know much about programming, but I think you can use Linux as your programming OS? I'm not sure.  

I used "I need it for programmnig" as an excuse to buy one. So I could learn Assembly for ARM but I could also just have used my phone for that....

However raspi is great when you want to do things with servo's or led's or something. But if that is the main purpose I would recommend a arduino.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Raspberry Pi is perfect for certain embedded projects, but not all. Those that require video manipulation are great, because Pi's chip is mostly VideoCore GPU, and in a corner a tiny ARM core. So it's great for robots that use cameras and so on, CPU core is sufficienly powerful for an AI. I'm currently working on a 3D DLP printer software project, that GPU is a lifesaver in my case, the CPU wouldn't be able to pull that much data processing at a desireable rate, but i can offload the rendering form it.

EDIT: That said, for such projects learning to program is actually more difficult, you need many advanced skills to manage and compile code to be proficient. Better do the learning on your pc.

Thanks guys :)

It seems impossible until it's done.