MacBook Pro high temps

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

That's just what happens when you sacrifice almost all the airflow and fan speeds to get a nicer looking shroud and a quieter pc. Not a trade I'd ever personally take. Still, you shouldn't worry about it.

So, i have a small problem with my MacBook Pro in that the temps can get really high rather fast. If i'm using chrome, just on LTT to say then my temps right now are at 60 degrees with fan speeds at 2000rpm and decreasing. However, if i say just start watching a stream on Twitch then it'll reach about 80-90 degrees with fan speed at 6000rpm and yet increases... Note i do have it on my laptop which is probably why it's that high. 

I know they're a few MacBook owners on here and just wondered if any of you encounter the same problem? Or if those temps are even an issue (i'm assuming they're due to it ramping the fans to max). I did attempt to clean the heat sink and re-apply some thermal compound but was blocked in doing this by not having the right security torx screwdriver to remove the logic board. 

Do you think it just needs cleaning and some thermal compound re-applying, or is this just a MacBook thing? 

(early 2011, i5, 4GB)

its made that way

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

its made that way

Elaborate? 

Elaborate? 

apple loves quiet and doesnt give a shit about temps unless it's T-Junction

apple loves quiet and doesnt give a shit about temps unless it's T-Junction

True, so you think it's just how it is and not a specific issue to mine? 

True, so you think it's just how it is and not a specific issue to mine? 

Yes

I used to have the 2009 ( I think) MacBook, and it would sit at pretty much max RPM all the time because of how hot the CPU got doing small tasks. It's worth giving it a good dust with a can of compressed air, but unfortunately there's not much you can do to improve the cooling on a MacBook. It never crashed or anything, just ran hot a lot. So long as it's not slowing down, it should be okay. 

I used to have the 2009 ( I think) MacBook, and it would sit at pretty much max RPM all the time because of how hot the CPU got doing small tasks. It's worth giving it a good dust with a can of compressed air, but unfortunately there's not much you can do to improve the cooling on a MacBook. It never crashed or anything, just ran hot a lot. So long as it's not slowing down, it should be okay. 

Yeah, i just didn't know if it was going to get to the point where it would just overheat and crash due to the fan speed getting so high (seen as though they sit at 2000rpm until it gets super hot) 

Is it possible to take it apart and re-apply (better) thermal paste?

Plus it would be easier to clean out all the dust if it's in pieces.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

That's just what happens when you sacrifice almost all the airflow and fan speeds to get a nicer looking shroud and a quieter pc. Not a trade I'd ever personally take. Still, you shouldn't worry about it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Is it possible to take it apart and re-apply (better) thermal paste?

Plus it would be easier to clean out all the dust if it's in pieces.

Yes it is, i would just need to order the security torx screwdriver needed to remove the logic board in order to access the heat sink and processor. I also have some Arctic thermal compound lying around so could use that. I just think that would only get me a few degrees cooler, and not really solve the problem...

Thanks for the input guys, i think i'll just accept that's what happens when you have a laptop with one fan, with one exhaust behind the hinge of a screen that has to be at a particular angle for the best airflow... 

Yes it is, i would just need to order the security torx screwdriver needed to remove the logic board in order to access the heat sink and processor. I also have some Arctic thermal compound lying around so could use that. I just think that would only get me a few degrees cooler, and not really solve the problem...

Well you may be lucky, it could take off up to 10 degrees off your 80-90 degrees on twitch.

The paste may have dried up.

But other than that I think you're stuck

EDIT: unless you can somehow underclock your mac a bit.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I think that's still a bit hot, my Razer Blade for sure doesn't get that hot while playing video.  I'm not sure how you would figure out what's wrong though.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh