My lovely battery hack...

KemoKa

@patriotbarrow requested that I post this up so that everyone would understand what I'm doing. It was either that or PMing him, but I feel like that would be mean to anyone else who might like to try this.

Basically, what I have done is split open my laptop battery and soldered more cells onto the array. What it's going to do is, ideally, give me a gigantic boost in battery life. There's some danger to it, though, as from what I'm told if not done correctly the whole thing could explode or burst into flames, and water will not help me if it does. I'm using relatively new cells, so there's no real worry there. I have to charge and discharge the array in order for the smart circuit to actually understand that it has more batteries installed on it. Right now it's just stuck on 99% for a really long time. eventually it will reset. I just thought some of you might like to be in on what forbidden magic I am doing.

There's no point in telling me not to do this or that it's a stupid idea and won't work. I'm sure most of you know that I don't like that sort of negative thinking, and moreover, I'm already doing it and it's already a thing.

Pictures?

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Pffft... Who needs bigger batteries now that I learned this is possible :D

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

I remember somebody who did a battery hack where they just stuck a huge battery on the back of his phone and gave him a huge boost.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

BRING ON THE PHONE BATTERY HACK

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Pictures?

I saw this coming. I was gonna put said prediction on the first post, but

HURGH IT"S THE USB CURSE. Hold on, let me get this nexus 7 sorted out...

So ... what exactly did you do? Are there 2 pounds of Li-ION cells hotglued to the bottom of your laptop now?

So ... what exactly did you do? Are there 2 pounds of Li-ION cells hotglued to the bottom of your laptop now?

Not exactly, not yet. I'm still waiting to see if it explodes or not. This is risky business.

Here are the photos. My PC thought my Nexus 7 was an Acer device, so it wouldn't mount. Epic fail.

post-77647-0-51246100-1421021069_thumb.j

post-77647-0-80823100-1421021095_thumb.j

post-77647-0-77911100-1421021120_thumb.j

post-77647-0-10301100-1421021131_thumb.j

Has been done before, albeit a bit more elegant because it was done by a company. 

Made quite a difference, my netbook's battery life went from nearly 3 hours to around 14.

P9220004m.jpg

Has been done before, albeit a bit more elegant because it was done by a company. 

Made quite a difference, my netbook's battery life went from nearly 3 hours to around 14.

Yep, I know the idea's not new, It just came up in a different threadand someone asked me to share it with the class.

One day in and I've already melted a hole in the chassis of my laptop with a soldering iron. Clean through because I wasn't paying attention.

The laptop is still trucking along.

Mhh, can you fit the cells in the optical drive bay?

If you make some holes and run wires properly youd hardly be able to see it (if it doesnt blow up of course).

Mhh, can you fit the cells in the optical drive bay?

If you make some holes and run wires properly youd hardly be able to see it (if it doesnt blow up of course).

This would have worked if I had a larger laptop, but these are 18650 cells. I have some a size smaller, but they have lower capacity and probably won't be compatible with the array (i.e. an explosion)

Besides, I want this to be easy to remove. I may get a battery holder next time I go to Akihabara.

Aww man, thanks for the thread. I was secretly hoping you'd have found a more elegant solution as my sister's laptop battery died a while ago and I wanted to beef it up significantly during the repair process. Guess I'll have to make due with just 6 cells.

Rule with your heart,

And live with your conscience.

Aww man, thanks for the thread. I was secretly hoping you'd have found a more elegant solution as my sister's laptop battery died a while ago and I wanted to beef it up significantly during the repair process. Guess I'll have to make due with just 6 cells.

It's a parallel array. so theoretically you can add as many cells to the battery as you please. I just added 6 cells for this test run. I have about 15 more.

Edit: You should know that I can't make elegant elegant solutions. I make practical solutions. It runs in the family. My grandpa was always fixing his tractor and whatnot with bits of string and metal bands. It looked ugly as hell, but it always worked... about 70% of the time.

Well yes, you could theoretically throw five dozen cells and make a two-day laptop, but I was hoping you'd have found something like a really elegant solution :)

Rule with your heart,

Well yes, you could theoretically throw five dozen cells and make a two-day laptop, but I was hoping you'd have found something like a really elegant solution :)

I'd need a 3D printer, a CNC machine and a plastic welder to make anything even close to the slightest concept of elegant. Sad, I know, but that's just the nature of the beast when you start splitting apart battery cases that weren't meant to be split apart.

I have access to all of those except for a plastic welder. Drop by any time you're near and we can work something out :)

Rule with your heart,