HDD not detected

i-ongei

Okay, hi.

So I've been using a 320GB WD along with a 500GB WD. I bought the 500GB about 3 months ago but the 320GB is quite old. Suddenly after restarting the PC today, its not being detected. All the drives disappeared from "My Computer". Help?

did the hdd get unplugged?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Make sure the SATA and the power are connected.

Or else it could just be plain dead...

System: Thinkpad T460

It didn't get unplugged. I reconnected it about 2-3 times and now it was detected. But the start up took about 2 min whereas usually I get it running in about 20-30 seconds. Any idea why? Plus, the icons got auto changed on those drives.

post-84012-0-39288500-1421006453.png

Could be the sign of a failing hard drive, download crystal disk info, and it'll give you a rough indication of how well the drive is.

It sounds like it's not spinning up correctly all the time, normally a sign it's on it's way out.

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

is the drive spinning and if it is can you hear clicking in the same pattern? if you do that this could sound a failed drive

Hi there @i-ongei!

Sorry to hear about your problem with the drive. I would suggest to download and run a test with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to see if any errors or bad sectors will be detected, and post a screenshot with the results. You can download it from here:

Nonetheless, I see that you have 1.6 GB free space left and that could be the reason for the slow reading times. So I recommend you to free some more space, something like 5-10% for instance.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/