Comparing Laptops

Jimbillroo Digital

I will just list the stuff I use:

I may upgrade the RAM in the future as well as add an SSD.

Video Editing: Movieplus X3 (Looking to upgrade to X6) (I will be editing video even more in the future)

Graphics Design: Serif Drawplus X4 (Looking to upgrade to X6) (I use this a lot)

Web Browser: Google Chrome (I have the Linus Tech Tips Notifier, Folding @ Home and the McAfee extension installed)

Media Player: VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player

Video Converter: Any Video Converter

Web Design: Serif Webplus X4 (Looking to upgrade to X6)

Gaming: Not planning on using this computer for gaming.

Office Software: LibreOffice

Internet Security: McAfee (I run scans once a week)

UI Tweaks: Stardock Start8 (Return the start menu in Windows 8)

Others:

Python

Small Basic

Scratch

Amazon Music

Epson Software

Windows 8 Apps

Netflix

Wired

Facebook

Twitter

Hootsuite

Google+

YouTube

I do Folding @ Home.

I may be wrong, but from the few quick searches I just did, Movieplus X3/x6 do NOT support GPU acceleration making the i5 the better choice.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 1/12/2015 at 5:02 PM, djdwosk97 said:

I may be wrong, but from the few quick searches I just did, Movieplus X3/x6 do NOT support GPU acceleration making the i5 the better choice.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

The Core i5 CPU is dual-core with 4 threads (Processor Base Frequency is 1.7GHz and Max Turbo Boost is 2.7GHz) where the AMD one is quad-core with 4 threads (Frequency is 1800 MHz and Turbo Boost is 3000MHz).

Is GHz more than MHz? If so, we have a winner in this CPU Showdown. Also, when it says Frequency does it mean the total across all cores or just one of them?

1 ghz = 1000mhz

But you can't compare the number of cores/the frequency of those cores when you're comparing two very different architectures. The only time comparing frequency/number of cores means something is if you're comparing a Haswell cpu to another Haswell cpu or an FX cpu to an FX cpu. 

The i5 is a significantly faster cpu. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 ghz = 1000mhz

But you can't compare the number of cores/the frequency of those cores when you're comparing two very different architectures. The only time comparing frequency/number of cores means something is if you're comparing a Haswell cpu to another Haswell cpu (or an FX cpu to an FX cpu). 

I see. Sorry, if I am being a pain in the butt with this thread, I am looking to save up for a laptop with my birthday (which is tomorrow) money. :D

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes