Am I the only one that actually wants that cherry MX laptop? MSI GT80

Syntaxvgm

NBR's migrating from vbulletin to xenforo. *sigh* no idea how that'll go down.

The 980Ms (in SLI) require UEFI + win 8 with legacy boot disabled to work. The M18x R1 does not have this capability via the BIOS functions, so they don't work. Mr. Fox has an M18x R1, M18x R2 and AW18 and I believe it works only in the latter two as per his checking.

The 880Ms overheat and have serious power/throttling issues in SLI; they're generally considered broken downgrades to 780Ms, which is why I didn't recommend them to you.

Optimus doesn't work with SLI, and the cards work perfectly in Clevo's P570WM and P37xSM(-A) notebooks, so it's not got anything to do with that either. For some reason, the 900M series just works terribly in Alienware notebooks. It throttles much more and gives very odd performance compared to the Clevos/MSIs/etc. It's still unknown.

Your CPU is pretty good yes. I'd say that'd be perfect; it should be equal to a 2600K at 4.3GHz which is plenty of power.

Good luck selling the machine! I would keep one of those for vBIOS flashing and stuff if I owned one, but I guess you're likely going to be done with gaming notebooks from now. *sigh* gotta love the new wave of integrated CPUs so high end, powerhouse notebooks can be JUST that much thinner. *sigh*

NBR's migrating from vbulletin to xenforo. *sigh* no idea how that'll go down.

Oh yikes. Vbulliten is great, they just were not utilizing it right. And when shit was broken like images, they never bothered to fix. I've never tried Xenforo, but it doesn't look any better on the surface.

Truthfully if you are good enough you can make PHPBB work as well as ipboard or something if you wanted. Really well documented and easy to customize

I like NBR. The community there allows me to find not just other notebook experts, but people who actually own products people need help with. It's really helpful. Notebooks are a much more complicated subject than desktops, and unfortunately their tech forums don't organize their mobile section in a way that accommodates that.

The 880Ms overheat and have serious power/throttling issues in SLI; they're generally considered broken downgrades to 780Ms, which is why I didn't recommend them to you.

Optimus doesn't work with SLI, and the cards work perfectly in Clevo's P570WM and P37xSM(-A) notebooks, so it's not got anything to do with that either. For some reason, the 900M series just works terribly in Alienware notebooks. It throttles much more and gives very odd performance compared to the Clevos/MSIs/etc. It's still unknown.

That's nice to know. If I remember correctly, the 780ms overclock really well anyway.

I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do. I want a MXM laptop still, but maybe a single GPU one.

The issues I have with getting a new laptop are the fact I'd have to give up hdmi input unless I bought another damn alienware, and the fact that there are no high res panels above 15 inches for laptops. I would like a 2560x1440 or maybe 3k screen in at least a 17.3 inch screen, 18.4 ideally.

The options simply don't exist. I want that for a web development workstation (I prefer working on a laptop for that as I take my work with me) and dock it at home on my my desktop setup.

The alienware GPU dock is not bad, but the only one that has hdmi input is the 17 inch now, and the 15 had a higher res screen but no hdmi input because fuck you that's why. 15...is a bit to small for that imho. Windows scaling sucks and I don't want to mess with that..

soo idk what to do as of yet.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

That's nice to know. If I remember correctly, the 780ms overclock really well anyway.

I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do. I want a MXM laptop still, but maybe a single GPU one.

The issues I have with getting a new laptop are the fact I'd have to give up hdmi input unless I bought another damn alienware, and the fact that there are no high res panels above 15 inches for laptops. I would like a 2560x1440 or maybe 3k screen in at least a 17.3 inch screen, 18.4 ideally.

The options simply don't exist. I want that for a web development workstation (I prefer working on a laptop for that as I take my work with me) and dock it at home on my my desktop setup.

The alienware GPU dock is not bad, but the only one that has hdmi input is the 17 inch now, and the 15 had a higher res screen but no hdmi input because fuck you that's why. 15...is a bit to small for that imho. Windows scaling sucks and I don't want to mess with that..

soo idk what to do as of yet.

1 - Yeah, they do. They also draw less power when OC'd than 980Ms

2 - If you hate these new integrated stuffs, you could grab one of the clevo P7x0ZM ones. Socketed (desktop) CPU, socketed GPU, no optimus.

3 - HDMI in... that's a problem. I really don't know of any that do it, and the new alienware machines are pathetic and overpriced, as opposed to being previously fantastic and overpriced. I don't know how you'll get that one sorted out, unfortunately. Maybe keep the M18x R1 and use it for that purpose and double it as a home server or some such thing?

4 - I think high resolution 17" screens are starting to come out; however they're beginning at 4K which is stupid. I don't know what panel makers are doing. I will say however that if you find a panel that's 3k or something and it has the same dimensions and mounting style, you can replace the panel in the machines. The P770ZM is nice, because it has both LVDS and eDP connectors on the mobo, similar to the P37xSM(-A) machines. To that extent they're an improvement over the P17xSM(-A) machines.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I would rather have a desktop.

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I understand that they arranged it that way to prevent heat on your wrists.  However they could have kept all the non-heating parts (m2s, I/O stuff and even part of the motherboard) in front of the keyboard, then had the keyboard in the middle and a smaller area behind if for the CPU and GFX cards. 

As much as I applaud them for trying, they didn't think it through.

1 - Yeah, they do. They also draw less power when OC'd than 980Ms

2 - If you hate these new integrated stuffs, you could grab one of the clevo P7x0ZM ones. Socketed (desktop) CPU, socketed GPU, no optimus.

3 - HDMI in... that's a problem. I really don't know of any that do it, and the new alienware machines are pathetic and overpriced, as opposed to being previously fantastic and overpriced. I don't know how you'll get that one sorted out, unfortunately. Maybe keep the M18x R1 and use it for that purpose and double it as a home server or some such thing?

4 - I think high resolution 17" screens are starting to come out; however they're beginning at 4K which is stupid. I don't know what panel makers are doing. I will say however that if you find a panel that's 3k or something and it has the same dimensions and mounting style, you can replace the panel in the machines. The P770ZM is nice, because it has both LVDS and eDP connectors on the mobo, similar to the P37xSM(-A) machines. To that extent they're an improvement over the P17xSM(-A) machines.

I didn't know that about the panel connector options. That said, I doubt any same size panel word work, based ont he fact that when you order an lvds controller, you have to tell the provider what panel you have so they can flash it appropriately. 

That said, it would likely be the case that if future models of that clevo laptop came with 9a 17 inch high res option, that the panel would work. That's a good idea. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I didn't know that about the panel connector options. That said, I doubt any same size panel word work, based ont he fact that when you order an lvds controller, you have to tell the provider what panel you have so they can flash it appropriately. 

That said, it would likely be the case that if future models of that clevo laptop came with 9a 17 inch high res option, that the panel would work. That's a good idea. 

You don't need to flash anything. You put in the new panel and it works, pretty much. People've done screen replacements before. The thing is, you need to make sure some things are the same.

Active area is the same

bezel area is the same

mounting style is the same

connector is the same

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday