x3 R9 280X vs x2 R9 290X/x1 R9 390(X)

Heyo, right now I have a dilemma GPU wise, I currently have 3 R9 280Xs (mining hype, plz don't judge) and I was wanting to wait for the 390/X release and see the prices, performance, average temp and all those other deciding factors. 

Now I have included the decision of getting two 290Xs as soon as I am able to sell the three 280Xs, I'm fine with just a single 280X because I only plan on playing games at 1080p max, but seeing as I have some money to burn I'd like to take a step up into the big guns and secure that >60 fps max settings for a little while longer (and ofc bragging rights). 

I realise that I'm running off speculation with the 390, but I just want to know you guys' opinion on this matter. 

I am leaning towards the 390 and 390X, just depends on the pricing and if the 390X isn't too far fetched when it releases. If I do decide on the 390(X) than I'd like to sell two of the 280Xs I have now, and then the remaining when it comes out. 

And just for reference what do you guys think is a reasonable price for a/three 280X(s)? I bought them for a total of $950 in March last year. 

I've hardly even used two of them, and the other one i my system now has only been used for gaming (bout 200 hours in the 10 months I've had them) and normal use. 

I was thinking min 270 AUD, but advice would be appreciated.

TL;DR:

Should I sell two of my 280Xs now and wait for the 390/X and buy one, or sell all three 280Xs now and buy 2 290Xs. 

Additionally advice on selling price for the 280Xs would be appreciated. 

Cheers!

@alby800

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Heyo, right now I have a dilemma GPU wise, I currently have 3 R9 280Xs (mining hype, plz don't judge) and I was wanting to wait for the 390/X release and see the prices, performance, average temp and all those other deciding factors. 

Now I have included the decision of getting two 290Xs as soon as I am able to sell the three 280Xs, I'm fine with just a single 280X because I only plan on playing games at 1080p max, but seeing as I have some money to burn I'd like to take a step up into the big guns and secure that >60 fps max settings for a little while longer (and ofc bragging rights). 

I realise that I'm running off speculation with the 390, but I just want to know you guys' opinion on this matter. 

I am leaning towards the 390 and 390X, just depends on the pricing and if the 390X isn't too far fetched when it releases. If I do decide on the 390(X) than I'd like to sell two of the 280Xs I have now, and then the remaining when it comes out. 

And just for reference what do you guys think is a reasonable price for a/three 280X(s)? I bought them for a total of $950 in March last year. 

I've hardly even used two of them, and the other one i my system now has only been used for gaming (bout 200 hours in the 10 months I've had them) and normal use. 

I was thinking min 270 AUD, but advice would be appreciated.

TL;DR:

Should I sell two of my 280Xs now and wait for the 390/X and buy one, or sell all three 280Xs now and buy 2 290Xs. 

Additionally advice on selling price for the 280Xs would be appreciated. 

Cheers!

@alby800

And why are you posting this in the CPU sub forums?

We don´t know anything about the next highend GPU gen of AMD. And no one can say if the charts that has been 'leaked' are true or fake. So I guess we all have to wait and see. If AMD manages to bring their HBM in a good way to the table that could get interesting.

Your R9 280X... I don´t judge you for mining with them, that´s your own business. But if you want to sell them check them before if they run properly and tell the buyers for what these cards were used. Money wise you won´t see too much for them in regard that a new R9 280X is around 200 USD and you can get a R9 290 for 240USD. I think you could get around 130-150 USD for each card.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

1) I'm convinced 3 280xs are as fast if not faster than 2 290xs

2) We can't guess how a 390x will perform, but it will likely be slower than 3 280xs.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If you're not mining a single 390x would be great, but if you're mining 2 290xs would be best i think? Or perhaps keep the 280xs

And why are you posting this in the CPU sub forums?

We don´t know anything about the next highend GPU gen of AMD. And no one can say if the charts that has been 'leaked' are true or fake. So I guess we all have to wait and see. If AMD manages to bring their HBM in a good way to the table that could get interesting.

Your R9 280X... I don´t judge you for mining with them, that´s your own business. But if you want to sell them check them before if they run properly and tell the buyers for what these cards were used. Money wise you won´t see too much for them in regard that a new R9 280X is around 200 USD and you can get a R9 290 for 240USD. I think you could get around 130-150 USD for each card.

Wow sorry, I must have miss-clicked lol. 

I definitely can't sell them at 200 AUD, that'd be just agony. And I don't see how an almost completely unused GPU can just drop 50 USD because of it being not new. 

I can't sell the GPUs for $350 less than I bought them just because they aren't sealed and stamped by AMD themselves. 

If you're not mining a single 390x would be great, but if you're mining 2 290xs would be best i think? Or perhaps keep the 280xs

I'm far from mining, it was finished before I even started. 

I'm looking to replace my 3 280Xs with one or two GPUs that will suite my gaming desires for the next few years. 

1) I'm convinced 3 280xs are as fast if not faster than 2 290xs

2) We can't guess how a 390x will perform, but it will likely be slower than 3 280xs.

I'd think that the 290Xs would beat out the 280Xs, even if there was perfect scaling, but I can't confirm or deny that because I'm having a hard time finding triple 280X benchmarks. I'll probably have to make my own. 

I'd think that a 390X would be less expensive than triple 280Xs though, and the temperature and "upgradability" of a single 390X is quite appealing.  

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Wow sorry, I must have miss-clicked lol. 

I definitely can't sell them at 200 AUD, that'd be just agony. And I don't see how an almost completely unused GPU can just drop 50 USD because of it being not new. 

I can't sell the GPUs for $350 less than I bought them just because they aren't sealed and stamped by AMD themselves. 

No worries :) .

Well I´d surely try to sell them with the highest profit. The problem is not only that they are used but that the highend AMD cards dropped so hard with their prices. At least in the US and Europe. Maybe it´s different in Australia, but I´m afraid you will not get too much out of them.

BTW Perth!! What an awesome city. Been there last November, can´t believe how beautiful this town is! I envy you for living there :) .

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

No worries :) .

Well I´d surely try to sell them with the highest profit. The problem is not only that they are used but that the highend AMD cards dropped so hard with their prices. At least in the US and Europe. Maybe it´s different in Australia, but I´m afraid you will not get too much out of them.

BTW Perth!! What an awesome city. Been there last November, can´t believe how beautiful this town is! I envy you for living there :) .

Well I'm just checking out new and used prices now to get an estimate. 

And I actually don't live in Perth lol, back in the day (like last year) during the Answering Questions thing in GGSP there was a guy from French Perth, and it rolled on into so many other questions with all these other French cities in Aus lol. 

I just didn't want to put my actual location and thought to put it there instead :P

With a bit of looking people are selling 280Xs for $200-$320 with varying used conditions. 

Well I'm just checking out new and used prices now to get an estimate. 

And I actually don't live in Perth lol, back in the day (like last year) during the Answering Questions thing in GGSP there was a guy from French Perth, and it rolled on into so many other questions with all these other French cities in Aus lol. 

I just didn't want to put my actual location and thought to put it there instead :P

With a bit of looking people are selling 280Xs for $200-$320 with varying used conditions. 

Oh wow that´s a lot still. I didn´t know that prices were so different in Australia, well I knew stuff was more expensive but that would give quite a budget for a new GPU if you could get 300 AUD out of each card :) .

Best option for selling them would be to do it locally.  If you can transfer the card in a hand-to-hand type deal, then the buyer can inspect and even test them.  In an exchange like this, losing only around 10% of what you spent seems plausible.  As soon as you type in:  "was used for light mining" in an online description, anyone with common sense will just walk away.  You might get lucky though.

Oh wow that´s a lot still. I didn´t know that prices were so different in Australia, well I knew stuff was more expensive but that would give quite a budget for a new GPU if you could get 300 AUD out of each card :) .

I'd be in tears if I could get 300 off each, but I'm hoping for $280, min $270. 

Best option for selling them would be to do it locally.  If you can transfer the card in a hand-to-hand type deal, then the buyer can inspect and even test them.  In an exchange like this, losing only around 10% of what you spent seems plausible. 

How do you think I should go about this? I'd think that I could put an add in the newspaper, but I doubt that'd get any interest. 
That would be ideal though, selling at least one to someone local. 

I'd be in tears if I could get 300 off each, but I'm hoping for $280, min $270. 

How do you think I should go about this? I'd think that I could put an add in the newspaper, but I doubt that'd get any interest. 
That would be ideal though, selling at least one to someone local. 

Not the paper.  Just scowl around in LTT, and other forums.  Put the word out online.  You aren't in a rush or anything.

Not the paper.  Just scowl around in LTT, and other forums.  Put the word out online.

I'm going to make a listing in Gumtree and LTT tomorrow. And I am also thinking of making a listing on eBay as well. 

Any other places you'd suggest?

I don't sell stuff =D, sorry.

My $2000 golf clubs have sat in my closet for 2 years now =/.

I don't sell stuff =D, sorry.

All's well, thanks for the input. 

Also, I never really used them for mining, they were intended to, but only ever got to sit in the system for bout 27 hours. 

All's well, thanks for the input. 

Also, I never really used them for mining, they were intended to, but only ever got to sit in the system for bout 27 hours. 

=)

Well, non-mined...definitely a good thing.  27 hours!  wtf...  what are you running now?

=)

Well, non-mined...definitely a good thing.  27 hours!  wtf...  what are you running now?

Sorry, I meant in the mining "system". I've had the three in my PC a few times for looks and benchmarking, but atm I have just one of them in, with the other two just sitting in the bags they came with. 

You can sell the 280X's for around $180-200 AUD.

I see it around the overclockers.com.au secondhand forums a lot.

I'd just wait for the R9 300 editions and crossfire two 280X's for now (personally because I use GeDoSato to upsample games to Dx9 games to 4k and back to 1080p). 

I'd think that the 290Xs would beat out the 280Xs, even if there was perfect scaling, but I can't confirm or deny that because I'm having a hard time finding triple 280X benchmarks. I'll probably have to make my own. 

I'd think that a 390X would be less expensive than triple 280Xs though, and the temperature and "upgradability" of a single 390X is quite appealing.  

Either way i hardly doubt sidegrading would be worth the money you'd be inevitably loosing by selling used cards. If you will actually be able to spare some money by going for a 390x then it just might be a decent idea.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

personally i would wait for the new 390x. dual 280x crossfire is awesome and should hold you off until thier release just fine. if you sell now i say get 2 gtx-970s over the dual 290x

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

personally i would wait for the new 390x. dual 280x crossfire is awesome and should hold you off until thier release just fine. if you sell now i say get 2 gtx-970s over the dual 290x

I'm certainly not able to get two 970s, I'm extremely fond of the Twin Frorz 5 cooler, so I'd get with this stupidly low resale price of 200 AUD than I'd be forking out an extra $440. 

I would prefer 970s over two 290Xs, but I highly doubt that'll happen. 

You can sell the 280X's for around $180-200 AUD.

I see it around the overclockers.com.au secondhand forums a lot.

I'd just wait for the R9 300 editions and crossfire two 280X's for now (personally because I use GeDoSato to upsample games to Dx9 games to 4k and back to 1080p). 

Why is it that you say I should sell them at $180-200? Like, seriously? That's $140 less than retail, and they've had minimal use with only one being used for just gaming and general use. 

If I'm waiting for the 390X than I want to get rid of two of the 280Xs now so that I only have one to sell when they do come out. 

Either way i hardly doubt sidegrading would be worth the money you'd be inevitably loosing by selling used cards. If you will actually be able to spare some money by going for a 390x then it just might be a decent idea.

I realise I won't get back the $950 I spent, but I'd be an idiot to sell them at $200 and only get less than 2/3 of what I payed. Dropping the total price by $350 just because it doesn't have a "NEW" sticker stamped to it is just insane to me. 

Why is it that you say I should sell them at $180-200? Like, seriously? That's $140 less than retail, and they've had minimal use with only one being used for just gaming and general use. 

Didn't you say you used them for mining though? That usually drops the price.

Just saying I see everybody selling them for $200, you can try your luck for higher depending on the model of the card. Frankly, there's a lot of them floating around in the used market because the mining bubble popped last year. Considering they're a pretty outdated architecture and the recent R9 290 price drop to below $300, I'd prefer to just get the 290 and get more bang for my buck for an extra $40 vs a 280X that doesn't have any of the new GCN features.

Just saying I see everybody selling them for $200, you can try your luck for higher depending on the model of the card. Frankly, there's a lot of them floating around in the used market because the mining bubble popped last year. Considering they're a pretty outdated architecture and the recent R9 290 price drop to below $300, I'd prefer to just get the 290 and get more bang for my buck for an extra $40 vs a 280X that doesn't have any of the new GCN features.

Well I still see every single new 280X going for above $320. And I see but only a few used 280Xs at $200. 

Well I still see every single new 280X going for above $320. And I see but only a few used 280Xs at $200. 

Well my sample's a bit biased since I only lurk around the OCAU forums.

You could probably get $550-650ish for the 3 280X's, assuming you sell them a bit cheaper than retail prices.

imo you should wait.  2x 280X isn't that far behind 2x 290X, and 3x280x is probably pretty much identical in games that scale.  At 1080p the crossfire configs are a bit overkill anyway, and I think a single 380x/390x will serve you better when those finally come out.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I realise I won't get back the $950 I spent, but I'd be an idiot to sell them at $200 and only get less than 2/3 of what I payed. Dropping the total price by $350 just because it doesn't have a "NEW" sticker stamped to it is just insane to me. 

At the same time you can currently get a brand new 280x for about 230$. That's why it will be hard to sell them at a good price. If the price is the same and you have the choice of a new or a mined card (yours are mined right?) you'd get a new one 100% of the times.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*