remote DNS server for seperate IP's

ainsey11

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a funky one here,

I have a domain called ainsey11.local that has 2 DNS servers (in load balance) this domain runs on the 10.1.0.0/16 address space. Servers go on 10.1.1.0/24 and clients on 10.1.2.0/24

I use a VPN into my work's domain, which is networked on 10.159.0.0/16 and is called (for example) work.local. However my PC doesn't know to look at the office's DNS servers when routing traffic over the VPN.

For example, I want to access a server called server1 on works network, I open RDP and type in server1, however this looks at my internal DNS and can't find an entry for "Server1" so fails. However if I put in the fqdn (server1.work.local) 

it looks to works DNS and finds the IP

Is there a way to set my DNS servers to forward any queries for the 10.159 network to works dns servers?

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

conditional forwarder?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Few things that may work:

- Create the zone work.local on your DNS server and set up the zone to forward to your work DNS.

Example under forward zone: http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/networking_2ndEd/dns/ch10_05.htm

- If you're on Linux or OSX you could try configuring your resolver to something like this:

search <home_domain> <work_domain>nameserver <home_dns>nameserver <work_dns>nameserver <other>

VPN software often has a shell script that temporarily rewrites the resolver file so you could probably setup the script to do this automatically. It also may not hurt to just have it always configured this way.

I'm sure Windows has something like this too but I don't know how it works.