Connecting two computers over ethernet (Can't access files)

Infernofight

I have two computers connected over ethernet so that I can transfer files between them. I have done this before but I just recently installed a new motherboard and cpu and now when I connect them they do not even show up in each others network. Yes, network discovery is turned on on both computers and everything is share-able, on home and on public networks. But when I click Start>Computer>Network my second PC does not show up so I can't click on it to log in and access its files. 

I am not using a crossover cable because it worked before just fine without one before. This motherboard that I just installed is fairly new so I feel that shouldn't be a problem with needing one. I do not want to connect them between two routers via ethernet or wireless because the router is in another room that I can't get to right now and I don't want to move it. I'd rather connect these computers directly over ethernet since they are right next to each other instead of doing it with a wireless router across the house.

Note after creating post: Even connecting them wirelessly to the same router, still not showing up in each others network. 

Have u made a homenetwork. 

Cross cable still better for changing files over that cable. 

Otherwise use homegroup. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Yes both are set to home network and now I think there is another underlying problem because I can't connect them over homegroup either. I have created homegroup on one computer and when I go to homegroup on the second computer it says "There is currently no homegroup on the network" and my only option is to create another one.

Crossover shouldn't be an issue considering newer devices should auto detect.

If running win7/8 check home group settings under network in control panel. Both computers need to be on the same hone group to see each others files.

- Alston

Yes both are set to home network and now I think there is another underlying problem because I can't connect them over homegroup either. I have created homegroup on one computer and when I go to homegroup on the second computer it says "There is currently no homegroup on the network" and my only option is to create another one.

Set them both the same anyway. If that doesn't resolve it you might want to check to see if the ethernet on both are enabled in network connections. Might have to check bios settings to ensure auto detect is on too.

- Alston

Make sure firewall isn't enabled for crossover or sharing as well

Yep, sounds like a firewall is turned on somewhere. Check that everything is allowed to communicate with each other. Is PC 1 visible from PC2 or vice versa? Or are both PCs not visible on the network?

Or any other possible network securities in place (WPA) and firewall or if you have McAfee or Norton or anything else

Thankyou,

Hitman123