Is my GPU dead? MSI 7950

ericks_comp

Happy new year guys. 

So i'm here, hoping someone can help me. I got this MSI R7950-3GD/OC. This is actually my second one. The first one i had to RMA it. because after a month it stop working, it wouldn't display or let the computer post. After getting the RMA. I ran the GPU with the stock cooler for about a month, after getting tired of the loud fan noise. I got off ebay an EK-FC7950... I had it running with the water block for about half a year without any problems. I never overclock it. Didn't have a need for it.

I notices some corrosion on the GPU waterblock. So I went ahead and drain the water loop and clean the water block. Honestly I did all this in over a week. some days leaving the GPU just in my desk, without it being in an  anti static bag or nothing. 

Well when i put everything back. My GPU didn't work. I then put the stock cooler back on. and it also didn't work. I get display. and I'm able to go to like the BIOS, but when it's going to load the OS it just freeze... 

Here are some photos. 

any help or suggestion would be appreciated. 

post-5531-0-93143000-1420699504_thumb.jp

post-5531-0-06760000-1420699507_thumb.jp

have you tried booting into your os with onboard graphics to make sure its actually your gpu thats the problem?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

have you tried booting into your os with onboard graphics to make sure its actually your gpu thats the problem?

Yes. I actually had this card (7950) in my main PC, with my AMD 8350, I need it my computer so I just go an cheap Nvida 210 for right now. PC runs great. 

This photos are with the 7950 being on my old computer, an Intel socket 775. 

on both motherboard i get the same problem. 

If your cpu has built in graphics or if you have onboard graphics boot with that and see if your pc is working properly without the video card.  I definitely agree with Swndlr this is a place to start.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

So the card works improperly in two pcs.  I say RMA it if you still can.  Also if it is not under warranty you could try the baking method.

Here is Linus doing it ..

.. and unfortunately it did not work for him but it has worked for many people. :S

Yes. I actually had this card (7950) in my main PC, with my AMD 8350, I need it my computer so I just go an cheap Nvida 210 for right now. PC runs great. 

This photos are with the 7950 being on my old computer, an Intel socket 775. 

on both motherboard i get the same problem. 

tbh im no expert here, but yeh your gpu sounds defective :c unless there are any other changes that youve recently made to your pc that would have an affect on whats happening in your situation rn.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

So the card works improperly in two pcs.  I say RMA it if you still can.  Also if it is not under warranty you could try the baking method.

Here is Linus doing it ..

.. and unfortunately it did not work for him but it has worked for many people. :S

Warranty was void when i remover the stock cooler. I will try it. I got nothing to lose anyways. :)

tbh im no expert here, but yeh your gpu sounds defective :c unless there are any other changes that youve recently made to your pc that would have an affect on whats happening in your situation rn.

Thanks.

ericks_comp make sure that you look at various videos to hear what temps worked for people and for what cards.  Clearly you might want to look up people doing this with your particular card to hear how they got it working.  Anyway good luck!

Warranty was void when i remover the stock cooler. I will try it. I got nothing to lose anyways. :)

Thanks.

before you do that i would first check if there are any buldeged capacitors

Jep, probably cracked something with the water block off.

Remove everything you can, bake for about 8 min under 200 °C and pray it works.