Building your First PC

soaringchicken

This is my guide on how to build your first PC, explaining how to set a budget, pick parts, build the pc and install software and maintenance.

My full list of PC Builds up to $3000 AUD | http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/285574-my-full-list-of-pc-builds-aud/

*this is like, really out of date at the mo, might update again soon though*

Stage 1: Planning

So what you want to do first in any PC build is to work out: What you wish to do with the PC (eg. editing, CAD programs, general use, gaming), how much you wish to spend on the computer and any other decisions that need to be made. 

What you have to do next, is to pick all of the parts being used in the build.

Choosing a CPU: In terms of CPU choices, you have to companies to choose from: AMD or Intel

AMD: AMD usually shines in budget oriented builds such as the one we are doing, however leaves virtually no upgrade path due to the AM3 socket being used up. AMD chips also typically have a higher heat output and TDP, usually requiring a 3rd party cooler.

Intel: Intel chips are usually faster then the AMD chips that they are compared to, but cost much more money. However, intel chips are more power efficient, create less heat and generally work better.

Choosing a Motherboard: So when you look for a motherboard, you have to find, 1. A board on the socket you have chosen. 2. Decide what features you will benefit from 3. Do some "futureproofing" and think about what upgrades you may make in the future. Look at features like different types of hard drives, bios usability, and things like dual CMOS and what not. 

There are 3 main types of motherboard sizes to choose from: ITX mATX and ATX, with features and usability going down on the smaller sizes (matx and itx)

Choosing A HDD: There are two types of drives that you can put in your system, 1. Is and SSD 2. A mechanical drive

What's an SSD?: SSD stands for solid state drive, and have no moving parts. SSD's are typically much faster than mechanical hard drives, but often can't match them in sheer capacity or price (although, in recent times we have seen SSD prices/capacity get much better). 

Mechanical HDD: A mechanical HDD has a moving disk that spins at a high RPM to read data, which usually creates more noise, and is less efficient and fast than an SSD.

I generally get WD Blue hard drives for just all round stuff, and coupled with an SSD it's even better.

Choosing A Case: When you pick your case you want to consider  what size you want your PC to be, what functionality you wish to have, do you want a color theme, and what size mobo you wish to put in it. Look for good build quality, you will always regret picking a lackluster case.

Choosing A PSU: When you are picking a PSU, what you want to consider is: 

- wattage (how much you are going to need for your parts)

- Efficiency, when you buy a PSU you want something that has an 80+ efficiency rating with bronze, gold, platinum generally being your options with efficiency rating being the best at platinum efficiency.

Refer to this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html for more info

Also, thanks to @STRMfrmXMN for an excellent guide on PSU efficiency and ratings. [spoiler=]http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/423141-80-plus-efficiency-and-what-it-really-means/

Choosing a GPU: This is what you want to pile most of your money into, due to it being the main performance decider in terms of gaming, you choose this last so you know how much you have to spend on it, spend as much as possible on this. There is a brilliant guide by @wcreek comparing AMD's options to Nvidia's counterparts that I'll link here [spoiler=]http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/434486-amd-gpus-and-their-nvidia-counterpart/

Stage 2: Building the PC

1. Build your PC outside of the case using the box that your motherboard came in to check that all of the parts work. 

2. Install the CPU and RAM

3. Install the PSU in the case (this is probably the easiest part of the build

4. Install mobo standoffs in case

5. Install mobo

6. rout all cables from PSU, front IO headers onto the corresponding ports on the mobo

7. Install Hard drive in one of the bays

8. Rout SATA and SATA power to motherboard as well.

9. Install the GPU including screws and corresponding power cables

*I know this is pretty basic, but if you follow a guide on youtube it is really easy.*

Stage 3: Installing Software

Installing Windows should be pretty easy, use this guide to help you. 

Once you have windows installed, go over to chrome and search ninite. Ninite can easily download all of the basic software you need without the immense bloatware that you usually get.

You have finished your PC congrats!

If you need additional help either PM me or consult

LinusTechTips

JaysTwoCents

PaulsHardware

Awesomesauce Network

*Don't use this as a main source of material, use other sources to expand your knowledge on PCs, there are people that know a lot more about PCs than me out there (duh).*

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

This is great information! I would suggest adding Tom's Hardware PSU tier list so people know what to generally pick PSU wise, often times the "80+ certification" doesn't mean jack (read more about that here)

Anyway, here is the link to Tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

Or alternatively there is a derivative of this list on LTT: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/183351-please-read-power-supply-tiers-quoted-from-eggxpert/

thanks for the tip :)

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

This is a great idea!!!!

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

There really isn't a lot of reason to get AMD even with the low price; when you include price of third-party cooler, you can almost always get a better intel cpu AND motherboard(cheap intel mobo work just as well as expensive ones, most of them even allow changing cpu multipliers for oc).

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

This is great information! I would suggest adding Tom's Hardware PSU tier list so people know what to generally pick PSU wise, often times the "80+ certification" doesn't mean jack (read more about that here)

Anyway, here is the link to Tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

Or alternatively there is a derivative of this list on LTT: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/183351-please-read-power-supply-tiers-quoted-from-eggxpert/

might I ask if there are tier lists for other parts? like RAM and SSD?

AMD just doesn't perform well even compared to intel's low end stuff so amd isn't even an option for that "budget" build anymore.

If you're watter cooling you need to take into account what case you're using as it'll effect the entire build if you're going for super straight lines.

You also should take into account if you have to MOD a case, like drilling(with a step unibit) 3/8" to 1/2" hole and them using a dremel to smooth out the edges.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

• 10 months later...

witch GPU should I buy GTX 960 or 970 ?

my pc config

intel corei5 2400 @ 3.10ghz   cpu

intel DH67BL motherboard (pci 2.0 )

4gb RAM

PSU i will buy new...

plz... help me...

witch GPU should I buy GTX 960 or 970 ?

my pc config

intel corei5 2400 @ 3.10ghz   cpu

intel DH67BL motherboard (pci 2.0 )

4gb RAM

PSU i will buy new...

plz... help me...

It really depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of performance you're looking for. I've been out of this game for a long time so I don't know enough about 960 vs. 970 but others will give you advice. Maybe you could start your own thread in the Graphics Cards or New Builds and Planning sections of the forum.