What is Raid 0?

MrGannyK

Hey guys so I hear Linus speaking about putting SSDs in Raid 0 but what does that mean exactly and does it increase performance?

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Hey guys so I hear Linus speaking about putting SSDs in Raid 0 but what does that mean exactly and does it increase performance?

(I will fix signature soon, I have a thread to help me)

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

Damn you beat me to it.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

RAID 0 consists of striping, without mirroring or parity. The capacity of a RAID 0 volume is the sum of the capacities of the disks in the set, the same as with a spanned volume. There is no added redundancy for handling disk failures, just as with a spanned volume. Thus, failure of one disk causes the loss of the entire RAID 0 volume, with reduced possibilities of data recovery when compared to a broken spanned volume. Striping distributes the contents of files roughly equally among all disks in the set, which makes concurrent read or write operations on the multiple disks almost inevitable. The concurrent operations make the throughput of most read and write operations equal to the throughput of one disk multiplied by the number of disks. Increased throughput is the big benefit of RAID 0 versus spanned volume.[9]

source: wikipedia

Google