7v molex mod fans

saders

Can the 7v molex mod harm your psu i am doing it on my current comp for the NZXT h440 fan hub so the fans don't run at 12v.

My rig.... cpu i7-920 , MB asus p6t se , RAM 8gigs , GPU evga 760 sc , Case antec 900, western digital 2x500 gigs hhd , PSU  antec 800w , Display syncmaster 2233rz , Cooling antec kulher h20 620 ,  keyboard / mouse / headset    G15 keyboard , g500 mouse , Razor megladon headset

Can the 7v molex mod harm your psu i am doing it on my current comp for the NZXT h440 fan hub so the fans don't run at 12v.

What is the 7v mod? Judging by what I think it involves though, it won't harm your psu.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

It will not as long as you have it wired correctly.

What is the 7v mod? Judging by what I think it involves though, it won't harm your psu.

It will not as long as you have it wired correctly.

this is what i used to do it from overclockers.net pic is from my phone cuz i could not fine link

http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_2360/gallery_45355_2360_639000.jpg

My rig.... cpu i7-920 , MB asus p6t se , RAM 8gigs , GPU evga 760 sc , Case antec 900, western digital 2x500 gigs hhd , PSU  antec 800w , Display syncmaster 2233rz , Cooling antec kulher h20 620 ,  keyboard / mouse / headset    G15 keyboard , g500 mouse , Razor megladon headset

Thats fine...you can also use resistors and power stuff from the 12V rail.

yea i tryed useing my noctua resistors but they heated up alot with the fan hub or those fan on the h440 so i just removed them as they where getting to hot to touch

yea i tryed useing my noctua resistors but they heated up alot with the fan hub or those fan on the h440 so i just removed them as they where getting to hot to touch

The noctua inline resistors are sized with power ratings with no margin so they heat up really quickly. Although you have to remember that the voltage drops 5V across the resistor with 0.2 A max current so there is about 1 W of heat dissipated in a really small area which is why its so hot.

this is what i used to do it from overclockers.net pic is from my phone cuz i could not fine link

http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_2360/gallery_45355_2360_639000.jpg

oohh yeah, that won't harm your psu at all.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

oohh yeah, that won't harm your psu at all.

The 7V mod is fine, I've done it for years and had fans run fine with the PSU having no complaints, as for resistors I stick them on the back of the motherboard tray with thermal tape for better dissipation if it gets super hot.

2itmn1t.jpg