LED Light Strips

Uphorics

Hey guys, hopefully this is in the right section (sorry if it's not!)

Anywho, my fish tank light bulb recently burned out, and instead of paying $20 for a new one, I've decided to use some LED strips that I have lying around.

Unfortunately I have one issue, the power brick powering the old broken light has a rating of 120v 0.2 amps. My LEDs are rated at 12v ~2 amps. (More like 1.8 amps) My question is, is this actually possible? If you do the math, 120v .2 amps is 24 watts, while 12v 2 amps is also 24 watts. Would using my LEDS work since they're the same amount of watts?

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro // CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.2GHz // GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Reference // RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1333MHz // MOBOASUS P8Z77-V LK // SPACE: 240GB Crucial M500 SSD ~ WD Black 1TB // PSU: Corsair CX750M //

CASE: Cooler Master Elite 130 // CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0GHz // GPU: N/A // RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1600MHz // MOBOEVGA Z87 Stinger Mini-ITX // SPACE: OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD ~ [2X WD Black 2TB in RAID 1] // PSU: EVGA 430W //

Anywho, my fish tank light bulb recently burned out, and instead of paying $20 for a new one, I've decided to use some LED strips that I have lying around.

Unfortunately I have one issue, the power brick powering the old broken light has a rating of 120v 0.2 amps. My LEDs are rated at 12v ~2 amps. (More like 1.8 amps) My question is, is this actually possible? If you do the math, 120v .2 amps is 24 watts, while 12v 2 amps is also 24 watts. Would using my LEDS work since they're the same amount of watts?

120V, 2 amps is 240 Watts not 24 watts, you will need to find a new power supply that is a switch mode PSU which basically regulates and keeps voltages at a fairly steadily 12 V normal transformer based PSU can slowly degrade LED lights.

120 volts is the AC input, you need to check the output which is probably 12 volts