Connecting a nas to a domain

So I have been shadowing my aunt ( I am younger than 18) and she is an IT person at the school where she works at.  I have been dorking around in the basement when I got everything I need to have done accomplished and I found this Terastation down there that I figured I could connect to the network and let students store stuff on it.  Keep in mind I do not know much about networks ( I know a decent amount about hardware) so I have gotten the terastation to show up in the browser and in the tool Buffalo gives you but when I go to map it it gives me the error you must make a share folder,  I don't know where it wan't me to make a share folder but  I cannot get into the nas.  Whenever I try to get to it through run or just from windows explorer it says this device is not connected properly which is wrong because windows detects it.  I have it plugged into a giant switch my aunt has so it is properly plugged into the domain.  When I try to go to the domain setting in the buffalo software it rejects my domain admin username and password even though I know they are correct.  I think it may be a permissions thing, and any ideas would be appreciated.  Also I was able to ping it not sure if that makes a diffrence.

Thanks, hopefully I can get a screenshot of the settings page today

Hi Never,

This link might help you. It's Win XP, but you can extrapolate (read: guess and check) your way through the process using it for other OS's.

After doing that, try your terastation's admin user and password again. See what happens.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

what is the dc is it a linux pc with samba or just win server and so you could try making a diferent account with permissions or pre-adding the pc to the domain by going to computers and the just add the nas to it 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

what is the dc is it a linux pc with samba or just win server and so you could try making a diferent account with permissions or pre-adding the pc to the domain by going to computers and the just add the nas to it 

it is a windows 2010 server, and I have a computer that has the same name as the nas and is a domain controller so I don't think that is an issue

Please don't do this. There are far more configurations going on than you can imagine on a switch. Just plugging something in like this does not mean you will be able to access it, since there might be for example ACLs on the switch blocking everything but things such as ICMP for testing purposes.

Plugging in devices to a network like this can also be a huge security risk. If you want to connect a NAS to the network then ask the person responsible for the network to do so. Don't just go around changing the infrastructure of the school yourself. Things like this is very serious and requires proper documentation.

By the way, having two computers with the same name in a domain is a very bad idea (might even be impossible), so don't do that. You're also going to want a static IP and preferably a DNS record so that the students don't have to type in the IP number.

So basically, the things you should (and most of them are 100% needed) in order to add a NAS to a network like this:

• Set a static IP on the NAS, in the appropriate network (can't just use any unused IP address).
  • Change the VLAN on the switch port.
  • Maybe add another subinterface on the router if you are using router-on-a-stick and the router is located between the switch and the computers the students use (assuming the switch is on a new subnet).
  • Maybe change an ACL.
  • Set permissions on all the students' accounts in the AD so that they got the appropriate rules.
  • Make a DNS record for the NAS.
  • Join the domain with the NAS.
  • Document everything in a report so that everyone who needs to understand how the network is configured knows how it works.

Yeah about that pc with the same name as the nas ehm that wasnt realy smart you should try giving it a diferent name

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler