Mini ITX X99?

Do you guys think that a Mini-ITX X99 motherboard would be a good idea?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

no. and it never will be

1. 2011-3 is a socket so big it makes no sense to put it on a board maybe 4x its size
  2. no place for the VRM
  3. no place for 4 channel memory
  4. no place for 28-40 pcie lanes
  5. no place for all the sata(e) and m2 expansion
  6. etc

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

It would be a great idea, though probably not possible.

Woo!

no. and it never will be

Ive got an idea, what about the ultimate HTPC/console or the ultimate portable machine for intense workloads

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Ive got an idea, what about the ultimate HTPC/console or the ultimate portable machine for intense workloads

check my edited post

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

The problem is also cooling a 140w part in such a confined space

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400 DDR4,2 x Nvidia 980 Gtx Reference Cards in Sli,
1TB - 4 x 250Gb Samsung Evo 840 Raid 0, Corsair AX1200i, Lian Li PC-D600 Silver.

Use a VRM solution similar to the Maximus Impact?

For an HTPC/gaming PC you don't need any more then a 4690K. And for intense workloads an 4790K is more then enough to suffice for the extra heat that's going to be outputted by a Haswell-E chip

"Rawr XD"

I would love one of those but until someone makes really small GPUs and PSUs, or have much better onboard graphics, its not really practical (my goal is to some day have a computer that is just bigger than a laptop but offers desktop performance to carry around with a monitor around 17-19 inches  already hooked up to it, small LAN pcs never made a whole ton of sense to me, they are still way to big and heavy in my perspective)

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

Use a VRM solution similar to the Maximus Impact?

That doesn't have anything to do with cooling the CPU. Also there wouldn't be room for the daughterboard because the X99 socket is huge.

"Rawr XD"

Wow I was just about to ask this question. I wanted to put a i7-5820k inside of a corsair air 240, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

That doesn't have anything to do with cooling the CPU. Also there wouldn't be room for the daughterboard because the X99 socket is huge.

I think that workstation grade cpu's won't make it to itx.

It's just not physically possible to jam that much hardware into 170mm square

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400 DDR4,2 x Nvidia 980 Gtx Reference Cards in Sli,
1TB - 4 x 250Gb Samsung Evo 840 Raid 0, Corsair AX1200i, Lian Li PC-D600 Silver.

Wow I was just about to ask this question. I wanted to put a i7-5820k inside of a corsair air 240, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

Dude, that is micro-ATX and EVGA makes an X99 board for Micro-ATX

(wish asus made a Rampage V Gene)

Dude, that is micro-ATX and EVGA makes an X99 board for Micro-ATX

(wish asus made a Rampage V Gene)

Oh, you're right. Looks like this build will work out then.

They probably can since most Nuc's have what most standard i7 builds have in them.

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

They probably can since most Nuc's have what most standard i7 builds have in them.

they use a lower powered i7 in the nuc similar to the laptop parts not the 84w parts used in desktop builds

Workstation:

As temtping as it sounds mITX X99... I don't think we'll ever see that, and maybe it's for the better, because X99 should stay enthusiast platform with a lot of options, I find the X99 mATX already questionable. I want to enjoy the richness of features and enthusiast feeling with this hardware and not degenerate it to something that the average Joe buys like a cheap i5 or FX CPU.

I've got an i5 with M81 Asus mainboard in my HTPC (mATX form factor) and regret this already. I'll wait for Broadwell and then I'm going to build a mATX with an consumer grade Broadwell i7 and unlocked mainboard that has way more features.

In terms of cooling a Haswell E... that is up to everybody else how he/she wants to cool their CPUs. Personally I find it ridiculous to buy enthusiast hardware and then waste it with an air cooler. The least one can do is buy a better AIO to ensure that this 140W TDP CPU is cooled sufficiently. I'd never go without my custom loop(s).

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Its very impractical. You will have ao much PCIe lanes wasted it just makes bo sense att all. Also the socket itself is very big and the installation if coolers might interfere with a graphics card in the PCIe slot.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Enthusiasts won't settle for an m-ITX board with only space available for a single GPU

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, you're right. Looks like this build will work out then.

Go with Gigabyte or AsRock

• 2 months later...

well. its still not a good decision, engineering wise. you lose alot of stuff, because size. and then again you need a big cooler so this wont be a board for a super small itx rig, more like a prodigy one. 

so i stand by all my points. that is a useless board and a niche product in an already niche market

well. its still not a good decision, engineering wise. you lose alot of stuff, because size. and then again you need a big cooler so this wont be a board for a super small itx rig, more like a prodigy one. 

so i stand by all my points. that is a useless board and a niche product in an already niche market

I know, I found your post by searching for repost on that new asrock mobo topic so I had to say it :P