How do you feel about being a pc geek. enthusiast. or geek in general?

toddleronebar

Jeez. I'm in high school and there are different categories I put people in (in terms of pc tech savyness or tech savyness in general)

1. Hardcore PC enthusiast (very little people. I'm like the only one :/)
2.PC gamer/ average builder (more common than the first one)
3.PC gamer (Quite common. Guys that don't build but still have a decent knowledge)
4. Non PC gamers ( console guys. I have to say the kids at my school are so arrogant to the point of irritation. Example: Fuck yeah xbox. Why do you play on PC. PC sucks man. Etc etc)
5. Non techies. ( a lot of these guys are attached to their apple products. Then again they are just as arrogant and never accept facts. Oh Android freezes so much. Steve Jobs is the most amazing person ever!. Macs don't get viruses so suck it. My computer has a touch screen its so badass. Etc etc)

Its quite an interesting eco system at my school. I never really expressed my knowledge of computers to people. I can be socially awkward in a sense. Whenever someone brings a tech topic up but doesnt have a very big knowledge on what they are talking about. I never really partake in it. I usually end up being completely silent and just listen even if its completely wrong.

I completely hate the image that people refer geeks and gamers to. (Which offended me deeply considering we are just normal people. We don't talk any different than the next guy or girl... We dress normal and etc etc...) People say console gamers are a lot more social than PC gamers... To which I say "ha. Ever heard of lan parties". We are social people in sense that we have friends. We have that group we hang out or that one best friend that we have. We aren't just isolated from the outside world and just stay dormant at the computer desk. My uncle once told me "why you still playing games man.. Go out and and get a girl or something"

Alright. I usually hang out with my PC gamers/builders and etc. I find that not a lot of them are as hardcore of an enthusiast as I am. A lot people question why I pay attention to details in my build or why I'm so picky when it comes to looks. (Cables have to be individually sleeved. Case has to be black wrinkled. The cables have to be all white. Etc etc) I usually reply that everyone can get a decent speced machine but not everyone has the will to make it look good. Personally I'm the kind of guy that just doesn't game on their machine all the time. I love overclocking. Video rendering. Editing. Multitasking. Etc etc. I'm also that kind of guy that has a sheer love for comouters. I've built since 2008 when I was in 5th grade. To this point I love it to death. Its the best hobby in my opinion.

A thing that I hate the most about the gaming world is how sexist a lot of us are. I had some servers for this game I loved and there were these two girls that played on there on a regular basis. A couple of guys decided to be douchebags and post creepy comments on their steam profiles. "Hey girl. You sure look fine!" And etc etc. I remember Logan from teksyndicate mentioned this topic. I remember showing my friend a video from "TastyPCTV". I remembered him saying "this girl has no idea what Shes talking about. She's probably reading this off a list." I remember him mocking Lauren and etc. Guys come on... Quit being impulsive girls can be gamers and PC geeks too...

So guys I hope you read this all the way. Alright post how you feel about being a geek or etc. Cheers.

*note if there are any mistakes in this topic. i wrote this all on my phone :p

Main Rig: Cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4.60Ghz 1.2V | Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA | RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133Mhz | GPU: Powercolor RADEON RX6900XT Liquid Devil  | Case: XFORMA MBX MKII | Storage: Samsung 840 256GB/Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | PSU: Corsair Hx850i | Cooling: Custom loop with gentle typhoons | 

Yeah those people who say that PC gaming sucks are annoying. Gaming all started with the PC and PCs have better specs and abilities than consoles so I don't understand these people. If consoles seized to exist, we would be at the pinnacle of PC gaming and there would be no such thing as exclusive titles like Halo or Tales of Xillia. Getting consoles just for these titles is annoying but unfortunately but it can't be helped

I know I'm a total geek and I'm damn proud of it.  :D

I am socially awkward, but I don't think that's what makes someone a geek.  I just have a passion for computers and electronics, just like how others have a passion for football or singing or building houses or something.

At least from my experience, it's much easier to find fellow geeks once you're out of high school.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I am proud of being a geek. I am in highschool and I have not met anyone my age that is a fellow geek:( But the best road is always the hardest.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Haven't been in high school for a long time so I guess I kind of forgot that kind of thing existed.  Went to a small high school though so everyone was pretty friendly to one another.  My core group of friends pretty much all fit into the top 3 of those.  Custom PCs were really just starting to be a thing, so those of us that could afford to jumped on board and gave it a go.

The console elitists are no worse than PC elitists IMO.  A gamer is a gamer.  I don't care what you play it on, what games you're into.  As long as it's something you enjoy then good on you.

I used to be more socially awkward than I am now, but I think that's partially just a part of growing older and dealing with people on a larger scale.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Haven't been in high school for a long time so I guess I kind of forgot that kind of thing existed.  Went to a small high school though so everyone was pretty friendly to one another.  My core group of friends pretty much all fit into the top 3 of those.  Custom PCs were really just starting to be a thing, so those of us that could afford to jumped on board and gave it a go.

The console elitists are no worse than PC elitists IMO.  A gamer is a gamer.  I don't care what you play it on, what games you're into.  As long as it's something you enjoy then good on you.

I used to be more socially awkward than I am now, but I think that's partially just a part of growing older and dealing with people on a larger scale.

Yeah I gotta admit fanboys and elitists are pretty bad on both sides. >.<

Main Rig: Cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4.60Ghz 1.2V | Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA | RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133Mhz | GPU: Powercolor RADEON RX6900XT Liquid Devil  | Case: XFORMA MBX MKII | Storage: Samsung 840 256GB/Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | PSU: Corsair Hx850i | Cooling: Custom loop with gentle typhoons | 

I was with you until the sexism bit.

Anti-sexism crusades are just ego-inflating morality campaigns so nerds can feel like "men" by saving damsels in distress.  Break down their arguments and you realize they are no more serious (and just as crazy) as bible-thumping Fundamentalists. 

I consider myself in another group: Makers.  Soldering irons, capacitors, resistors, transistors, ICs, Arduino etc.

Like you, I don't bring my tech hobbies up in my "social circle".  I understand why doing so would make friends and acquaintances uncomfortable, and I don't hold it against them.

<p>Proud of being a geek. I also hate all the crap that our kind get. Without geeks there would be no Xbox, now Facebook etc and not many people get that. Most people also confuse the term "geek" and "nerd". I often of geeks as being practical people that technically adept whereas nerds are often very good at paperwork and theory. Some people are both. I too don't bring up my hobbies in normal conversations and while i have a few friends that are alright with computers, I don't want to make them feel small or like they know nothing.</p>

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

I completely get you dude, happens to be all the time.

To be honest it kinda sucks not having anyone to actually talk to about tech topics at school etc as no one is really that tech savvy. Most of the people, like you mentioned are the console or fanboy type and it really does suck.

Well to think of it, that's what we are all here for :D To unite the nerd power!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?