Heatsink Temperature

jonn.

I placed a Dark Rock Pro 3 Heatsink on my 4690k

When stressing it has a max of 70c and an average of ~66c however the actual Heatsink only feels slightly warmer than ambient room temperature?

Would this be a problem with my thermal paste application or is simply the design of such a large heat sink the reason?

Thanks in advance!

When stressing it has a max of 70c and an average of ~66c however the actual Heatsink only feels slightly warmer than ambient room temperature?

Would this be a problem with my thermal paste application or is simply the design of such a large heat sink the reason?

Thanks in advance!

you know, exact same situation with my hyper 212 when i was benchmarking yesterday. like the top still felt cold. whatttttttt. anyway, makes me feel l like its normal. or we both messed up.

Thanks in advance!

Test for longer, it will allow time for the heat travel to all the conductive materials int he heatsink then it will feel hot - or the heat is dissipated across the heatsink. Temp of CPU does not equal temp of heatsink (or that high of a temperature anyways I'd assume).

Test for longer, it will allow time for the heat travel to all the conductive materials int he heatsink then it will feel hot - or the heat is dissipated across the heatsink. Temp of CPU does not equal temp of heatsink (or that high of a temperature anyways I'd assume).

It's been going on for 8 hours now :( yeah but like when my 970 Strix heats up the entire case heats up :/

The heatsinks often don't get that hot, as the heat spreads out over the whole heat sink.
The temperatures sound okay.

Thanks in advance!

Not bad don't know what the weather is in your country but it could be a bit better.

It's been going on for 8 hours now :( yeah but like when my 970 Strix heats up the entire case heats up :/

Increase the RPM of your fans if you want to lower the interior temperature. However, your temps are fine so there isn't anything to worry about.

I have stock heatsink on an i7 4770k and my temps usually are above 70 degrees celsius when gaming. (not got GPU yet).

Increase the RPM of your fans if you want to lower the interior temperature. However, your temps are fine so there isn't anything to worry about.

I mean like, when my GPU heats up to around 70 c I can barely touch the heatpipe as it is hot. My CPU is at 70 degrees yet the heatsink is warm

I mean like, when my GPU heats up to around 70 c I can barely touch the heatpipe as it is hot. My CPU is at 70 degrees yet the heatsink is warm

Probably because your GPU heatpipes are copper, which conduct heat more effectively than the aluminium fins on the CPU. Also, the GPU outputs more heat than the CPU when doing graphically demanding tasks. Since your heatsink is large as you said, there is a lower concentration of heat although there is the same amount of heat energy present - making the CPU heatsink feel cooler than the GPU heat pipes.