unexplained freezing across multiple versions of windows

Dietrichw
Go to solution Solved by Dietrichw,

Well I've narrowed it down to the first PCI express slot. Computer works just fine with the GPU in the in the other slot, but that slot only operates at PCIe 4x gen 2

System specs:

AMD 7850K

ASrock extreme4+ A88X

kingston hyperx beast 2400 mhz ddr3

xfx core edition r9 290

cx600

hyperx 120GB ssd

windows started freezing randomly with the newest Windows technical preview build 9879. I reinstalled windows technical preview build 9841, same issue. I installed windows 7 64 bit ultimate, same issue. I reseated the ram and GPU a few times already with no luck. eufi is at stock settings except onboard graphics are disabled. I'm booted in safemode with networking to see if it will freeze.

Have you installed all the drivers? Make sure all the cables are connected correctly? Perhaps it is a software issue? Are there drivers for your SSD or motherboard?

been in safe mode for an hour without freezing 

with freeze you mean nothing responds and the image on screen freezes? does caps lock/ num lock work when its frozen?? (do the lights work)

System specs:

AMD 7850K

ASrock extreme4+ A88X

kingston hyperx beast 2400 mhz ddr3

xfx core edition r9 290

cx600

hyperx 120GB ssd

windows started freezing randomly with the newest Windows technical preview build 9879. I reinstalled windows technical preview build 9841, same issue. I installed windows 7 64 bit ultimate, same issue. I reseated the ram and GPU a few times already with no luck. eufi is at stock settings except onboard graphics are disabled. I'm booted in safemode with networking to see if it will freeze.

freezing might be caused by some sort of grounding issue or short.... (does is occur when touching the case/ plugging/unplugging devices??)

with freeze you mean nothing responds and the image on screen freezes? does caps lock/ num lock work when its frozen?? (do the lights work)

everything onscreen freezes, caps lock light doesn't worrk.

freezing might be caused by some sort of grounding issue or short.... (does is occur when touching the case/ plugging/unplugging devices??)

nope, I'm not touching anything when it freezes 

nope, I'm not touching anything when it freezes 

is your pc grounded? (it should have a third pin if you're using us wall sockets, eu has some sort of clamps on the side of the plug, uk had a third pin aswell i think..)

is your pc grounded? (it should have a third pin if you're using us wall sockets, eu has some sort of clamps on the side of the plug, uk had a third pin aswell i think..)

yes it is grounded

yes it is grounded

hmm.... than its probably not a grounding issue... did it freeze in safemode?

hmm.... than its probably not a grounding issue... did it freeze in safemode?

after an hour of use it didnt freeze in safe mode

after an hour of use it didnt freeze in safe mode

than its probably a driver or some autostarting software... try disabling all non microsoft services using msconfig (or task manager in win 8) and turn off any autostarting programs like java update, spotify skype etc. if this fixes the issue try turning them on one by one until you've found the culprit... if not, try disabling any custom drivers (gpu, sound, lan etc) and reinstall one by one to see if you can figure out whats causing this

Sounds to me like a hardware issue. One of your components may be the issue. You may need to do a hardware inspection. Start off by disconnecting all the components only leaving the minimum required components to boot to windows. Even unplug USB devices, those can also cause these issues. I've had freezing issues with USB devices, bad ram sticks, hard drives, and gpus. Also could be the motherboard. If all else fails, I'd take the whole thing apart and put it back together carefully while inspecting each component. Checking cpu pins, ram slot pins, pci-e slot pins, bad capacitors on mobo http://www.crovean.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/bad-caps.jpg, testing your ram sticks in each different slot, trying out a different psu, different boot drive, different ram sticks (no matter the capacity), look for brown burned spots on the hardware, maybe smell of burn? Does your computer overheat? Overheating can also cause freezing issues. Also reset your motherboard BIOS and update it to the latest version if it isn't already. Check in your bios the temps of cpu and other temps if they are available. Let us know how the temps look if you get the chance. I wonder it the computer stays on without freezing while in the BIOS. If it still freezes even in the BIOS, its definitely hardware.

Sounds to me like a hardware issue. One of your components may be the issue. You may need to do a hardware inspection. Start off by disconnecting all the components only leaving the minimum required components to boot to windows. Even unplug USB devices, those can also cause these issues. I've had freezing issues with USB devices, bad ram sticks, hard drives, and gpus. Also could be the motherboard. If all else fails, I'd take the whole thing apart and put it back together carefully while inspecting each component. Checking cpu pins, ram slot pins, pci-e slot pins, bad capacitors on mobo http://www.crovean.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/bad-caps.jpg, testing your ram sticks in each different slot, trying out a different psu, different boot drive, different ram sticks (no matter the capacity), look for brown burned spots on the hardware, maybe smell of burn? Does your computer overheat? Overheating can also cause freezing issues. Also reset your motherboard BIOS and update it to the latest version if it isn't already. Check in your bios the temps of cpu and other temps if they are available. Let us know how the temps look if you get the chance. I wonder it the computer stays on without freezing while in the BIOS. If it still freezes even in the BIOS, its definitely hardware.

did as much of that as i could when I reseatted stuff. I don't have thermal paste right now so I don't want to remove my cpu cooler. I also tried my GPU in the other 16x slot. I already updated my eufi.

I uninstalled catalyst Omega drivers and installed 14.11.2 beta. got a black screen freeze when i tried to launch MSI afterburner 

after restarting msi afterburner started just fine. edit- msi after stopped responding and I can't end the process. restarted and uninstalled msi afterburner

windows froze again while I was watching anime, I was able to move my cursor but all UI elements would not respond, also audio from the anime continued to play. I just removed my 290 and I am running on the onboard graphics now

I'll try running my 290 in the second pcie slot again today. I will update when it crashes

My computer used to bluescreen or lockup in Windows 7 while watching Twitch or Youtube in Chrome, I also have a 290.  It had to do with hardware acceleration in flash videos and AMD drivers crapping out.

Not sure if that is the issue here, just letting you know

Well I've narrowed it down to the first PCI express slot. Computer works just fine with the GPU in the in the other slot, but that slot only operates at PCIe 4x gen 2

oh, no. 
I hope this is not like it was with my card.

The gtx 480 crashed in desktop mode, everything freezed.

code 43 or something like that was displayed in the hardware manager.

Everything would work fine in safe mode or when I uninstalled the display drivers.

And then I installed them and it did crash again.

somebody in another thread somewhere was having troubles with a wifi adapter.