Front IO output sounds better than back IO output

hknutsen

So I've been connecting my headphones through the front io for a long time, but people have been telling me to use the back io output which is connected directly to the motherboard, because this would give me better quality. Problem is, my audio sounds horrible when I plug it in the back. The bass is almost completely gone. Not even joking, it's almost completely gone. I have the MSI Z77A-GD65 mobo. Does it just have horrible audio outputs, or is there something wrong?

MOBO: MSI Z97A Gaming 7 || CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz, 1.25V || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz || GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 3.5GB @ +200MHz Core/+500MHz Memory, +50mV

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB || HDD: 2x HGST 1TB || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

Some mainboards have a greater amplifier for the front, because most people use the back for speakers.

Some mainboards have switchable channels, that are software controlled.

Btw: I think the 3,5mm connector does not fit 100% in the back, had the problem with a 3,5mm cable from vivanco, horrible bass and background noises, I used the original 3,5mm logitech cable and everything was fine.

Some mainboards have a greater amplifier for the front, because most people use the back for speakers.

Some mainboards have switchable channels, that are software controlled.

Btw: I think the 3,5mm connector does not fit 100% in the back, had the problem with a 3,5mm cable from vivanco, horrible bass and background noises, I used the original 3,5mm logitech cable and everything was fine.

Where can I find such a software?

I guess I'll just stick with the front then ;)

MOBO: MSI Z97A Gaming 7 || CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz, 1.25V || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz || GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 3.5GB @ +200MHz Core/+500MHz Memory, +50mV

Where can I find such a software?

I guess I'll just stick with the front then ;)

Realtek, I think the manufacturer of the mainboard has to decide if you can have such a feature.

If you plug in your 3,5mm cable where ever you want, the software is gonna ask you what device it is.

If I select "Headphones" my audio is all the time louder, doesn´t matter where I plug it in.

Realtek, I think the manufacturer of the mainboard has to decide if you can have such a feature.

If you plug in your 3,5mm cable where ever you want, the software if gonna ask you what device it is.

If I select "Headphones" my audio is all the time louder, doesn´t matter where I plug it in.

Yeah, I already tried setting it to headphones. Audio was still horrible. I'll stick with the front.

If you plug in your 3,5mm cable where ever you want, the software is gonna ask you what device it is.

Can I ask a quick question? :) If I were to buy an AMP/DAC, would it matter what output I plugged it into? Would it still be worse audio if I were to plug it in the back?

Can I ask a quick question? :) If I were to buy an AMP/DAC, would it matter what output I plugged it into? Would it still be worse audio if I were to plug it in the back?

DAC is digital to analog

You need a spdif output on your mainboard (that you have)/MSI Z77A-GD65

The audio is processed by the dac chip that connects to your spdif output of your mainboard and doesn´t even use the analog signal (3,5mm output) of your onboard soundcard.

DAC is digital to analog

You need a spdif output on your mainboard (that you have)/MSI Z77A-GD65

The audio is processed by the dac chip that connects to your spdif output of your mainboard and doesn´t even use the analog signal (3,5mm output) of your onboard soundcard.

Would getting a sound card be a good option?

If your onboard is not loud enough or you hear background noise, I would consider getting an DAC, otherwise, no.

Not worth it to "upgrade" the sound, onboard sound is pretty good.

Btw: try cheap in ears or something like that, if the same thing happens.

The contacts in the 3,5mm output get a little out of shape after heavy use (plugging in and removing the cable all the time)

No sound cards are bad and if your front works just use that. Also most DACs use USB not optical so it'll just plug into the back of your mobo. 

If your onboard is not loud enough or you hear background noise, I would consider getting an DAC, otherwise, no.

Not worth it to "upgrade" the sound, onboard sound is pretty good.

Btw: try cheap in ears or something like that, if the same thing happens.

The contacts in the 3,5mm output get a little out of shape after heavy use (plugging in and removing the cable all the time)

Oh, so I CAN use a DAC? I thought you said I needed something else called SPDIF instead, but I guess that's something I need for DACs to work, and that I already have it. Sorry, I misunderstood :) Any recommended DAC + AMP combos? I use the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.

EDIT: Also, if my back output is already poor, will that affect the quality even though I have a DAC? Don't know if you understand what I'm trying to say though ;)

Oh, so I CAN use a DAC? I thought you said I needed something else called SPDIF instead, but I guess that's something I need for DACs to work, and that I already have it. Sorry, I misunderstood :) Any recommended DAC + AMP combos? I use the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.

Wrong person

Onboard sound user since windows xp.

I´m sure someone can help you getting an dac+amp! :D

Wrong person

Onboard sound user since windows xp.

I´m sure someone can help you getting an dac+amp! :D

Yeah, I'll ask around then. Thank you so much for your help though! :D I can't stand poor audio ;)

Yeah, I'll ask around then. Thank you so much for your help though! :D I can't stand poor audio ;)

No problem :)