Is there such a thing as a"off the grid' mining operation?

I don't have any experience with mining but I have been curious. Do they have "off the grid" type mining operations? Like using solar or wind power. Also lets say you didn't have to pay electricital costs, would bitcoin mining be profitable then? My parents have a small creek running down a few thousand foot long steep hill, I have always though it would be cool having water wheel type generators making electricity. It would be a cool fantasy thinking that green power could be making money.

I don't have any experience with mining but I have been curious. Do they have "off the grid" type mining operations? Like using solar or wind power. Also lets say you didn't have to pay electricital costs, would bitcoin mining be profitable then? My parents have a small creek running down a few thousand foot long steep hill, I have always though it would be cool having water wheel type generators making electricity. It would be a cool fantasy thinking that green power could be making money.

If you have solar/wind/water to add to the power of your house. Then yeah, it would help pay the power bills.

I know that some companies actually pay you if you make excess power.

I'm sure there are people out there running some mining equipment "off the grid", but I really doubt that there are any major operations. Large mining operations take a massive amount of power and the initial cost to set everything up is way to high. 

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting