Refurbished GPUs?

Pointbox

I was recently thinking about buying a refurbished graphics card for my new build. I wanted to see everyone's opinion as I've never bought a refurbished GPU. Thanks.

Just know that if it is an amd refurb card that it might have been a mining card so if you have a 30 day warranty on it, its possible it might die just after that warranty 

Just know that if it is an amd refurb card that it might have been a mining card so if you have a 30 day warranty on it, its possible it might die just after that warranty 

30day warranty? wtf

We have atleast 2years warranty on used or new parts required by law, germany. (legit computershops, not ebay)

I would trust it, if it was from a proper store, not some random eBay seller (always use paypal when buying from eBay) but if it's from a proper store like newegg or tiger direct, it'll be right, and if it doesn't work, just return it!

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

30day warranty? wtf

We have atleast 2years warranty on used or new parts required by law, germany. (legit computershops, not ebay)

All MSI/some other brands cards have 30 day warranty in North America. 

All MSI/some other brands cards have 30 day warranty in North America. 

I don't know what you are talking about, but it appears that MSI (didn't check others) have a 36 months (3yrs) warranty period for GPUs, unless I am reading this wrong?

Link: http://us.msi.com/page/warranty#w-vga

post-140523-0-09535000-1419394361.png

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

30day warranty? wtf

I need to move then haha new egg offers 30 day warranty on refurb stuff

I need to move then haha new egg offers 30 day warranty on refurb stuff

according to newegg.ca they say

"Refurbished" products have been tested to ensure compliance with original manufacturer specifications, and MAY include a limited manufacturer warranty - see the item's product page for details.

newegg also offers an extended 1-year warranty for what looks like 10% of the products refurbished price  <_<   Apparently newegg are shrugging their shoulders and declaring that its on the manufacturer's head to provide the warranty. 

I know in canada we have consumer protection acts for each province/territory, and one of the nasty details that people overlook is whether a warranty is transferable or not from the original sale. Where I live, a manufacturer has the right to declare a warranty void once the ownership changes hands, which declares that the seller of the used product is responsible for the warranty (it has to be stated in the original warranty, the manufacturer can't declare it after the fact).

I would read the manufacturers warranty carefully before assuming they will still honor the warranty of a refurbished product. :unsure:

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Yay EU and Dutch laws :) Anyhow I know folks who only buy refurbished because they state those cards actually get better quality control, no clue if that is true, but if you get less than 2 years warranty I would not buy it period new, refurb or whatever.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

I would never buy a refurbished graphics card. For one, they're usually not more than $20-$30 cheaper than getting a new one, for two you already know you're getting a problem card, and for three you almost always get either a 30-day or 90-day warranty and that's it. Occasionally I'll see a refurbished card that's manufacturer recertified and given a one year warranty, but for the most part you're looking at 30 or 90 days. Just a ridiculous warranty for something so expensive. 

I live in Canada, and I will not buy refurbished anything. Also they like to use other words like refreshed & recertified.

I bought a refurbished EVGA GTX 780 ACX in April, saved me over a $100 from retail price and came with a 1 year warranty. Haven't had any problems with it at all, overclocked decently, well worth the savings.

If you are going to get a refurbished card get it from a reputable store like Newegg, that way you get a 30-day warranty from Newegg, and then whatever warranty the company you are buying the card from offers.