Is it better to use one or two cables to power my graphics card?

Jaidrox
Go to solution Solved by Faa,

Well by default the OCP is set to 30Amps per PCIe cable, you can raise this to 40Amps or turn the limitation completely off. There are no cards atm other than the 295x2 that draws more than 40Amps, the 295x2 is at 45Amps. 45Amps is farrrrr from enough to burn a cable. So no it doesn't make any difference and your 980's each hardly take more than 10Amps.

I am using a Corsair AX1500i PSU to power 4 GTX 980's. I am currently powering my 980s with a single PSU cable that splits into two 6+2 connectors each. 

Are there any benefits or drawbacks to using a single cable that splits into two 6+2 connectors rather than two 6+2 cables for each card?

hmm, I don´t really know. Those cables are not really thick or thin.

Maybe the isolation can melt and shortcut the system in the worst case.

But never use molex to pcie express power adapters and it should be ok.

Well by default the OCP is set to 30Amps per PCIe cable, you can raise this to 40Amps or turn the limitation completely off. There are no cards atm other than the 295x2 that draws more than 40Amps, the 295x2 is at 45Amps. 45Amps is farrrrr from enough to burn a cable. So no it doesn't make any difference and your 980's each hardly take more than 10Amps.

the gtx980 pulls about 160ish watts, which comes out to around 14 amps if im not mistaken.  I was thinking your estimate was low till  i realized thats at max loads so yea 10ish amps is probly a good number for general use... 

the gtx980 pulls about 160ish watts, which comes out to around 14 amps if im not mistaken.  I was thinking your estimate was low till  i realized thats at max loads so yea 10ish amps is probly a good number for general use... 

But the pcie socket provides up to 75W which is 6.25Amps so it won't ever reach 14A from the pcie cable. 780's were reaching 14-15A's