[Tutorial] How to make your 900 Series Video Card have a 0% fan mode!

Lays

I thought the 970's had this feature to run at 0RPM from the manufacture it's self. Is this not true?

My settings on my 970 G1 Gaming

I had went from 0 FAN mod to normal BIOS for many times because of those fast spin up problems (when CPU reached 60°C because passive cooling sucks) but with your settings now its all quiet and works awesome! Thanks for giving a "template" for user like me who just doesn't have time to deal with such problems :D My fans run at about 800 RPM and are dead silent.

Is there any way to have 0 rpm fan speed without the use of a program?  ie, can you make a fan curve (starting with 0%) with just the bios alone?

• 2 weeks later...
c:\nvflash>nvflash -6 new.romNVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.218)Simplified Version For OEM OnlyChecking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...Adapter: GeForce GTX 970      (10DE,13C2,1458,367A) H:--:NRM S:00,B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00Current      - Version:84.04.31.00.B8 ID:10DE:13C2:1458:367A               GM204 Board (Normal Board)Replace with - Version:84.04.31.00.B8 ID:10DE:13C2:1458:367A               GM204 Board (Normal Board)Update display adapter firmware?Press 'y' to confirm (any other key to abort):Command id:1000000E Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_VV failedError: NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_CMD_VBIOS_VERIFY_BIOS_SIG_FAILERROR: ERROR:BIOS Cert 2.0 Verification Error, Update aborted

:/

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried this with a Titan X?

EDIT: This works with a Titan X (I would use an aftermarket cooler, though)

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Thanks for the sharing, useful. Though taking me too much time to finish it. :) :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, i have no idea how to solve my problem. I got an gtx 970 gaming g1. I followed this guide step by step and downloaded all of newest versions. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if some one will read that any time soon, but the download links are not working... I can't download the neither the NVFLASH nor the Maxwell BIOS Tweaker. Any suggestions?

I cant go lower than 25 percent,any ideas?

I have the same problem with setting my fan speed in MSI afterburner but somehow in the custom fan curve I could go to 0% which is the safest thing to do anyways.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

I have the same problem with setting my fan speed in MSI afterburner but somehow in the custom fan curve I could go to 0% which is the safest thing to do anyways.

Had a bug where my custom fan profile would not save,now it is working properly ;)

Hi @Lays,then i put my fans to 0% on my 970 g1 i can hear a long beep noise,which can't be heard if i set the fans to 25,is that normal?

Hi @Lays,then i put my fans to 0% on my 970 g1 i can hear a long beep noise,which can't be heard if i set the fans to 25,is that normal?

Thats weird, not sure what that is...

Strange O.o

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Seeing how this thread is still active, I thought i could share my experience when trying to tweak my 970 G1 Gaminig GPU's BIOS.
Sadly i got stuck at the first step when trying to save the BIOS file from GPU-Z. I do not know if it's lack of patience (how long does it take to generate the file?) Or it's a mis compatibility with Windows 10.
If someone else got it to work from windows 10, please share your experience.
Right know i believe that the gpu is the noisiest thing in my PC.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, i disabled my GTX970 from Zotac, and now Im stuck with the flashing process:

post-235762-0-78685200-1448107508_thumb.

I successfully hacked 127.0.0.1! Now I cant turn on my computer :/

6700K - z170 Pro Gaming - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - WD Black 1TB - WD Green 3TB - External Hard drive 3TB - Zotac GTX 970 Amp! Core Edition - Fractal Define R5 - RM650 - Razer BW Chroma - Roccat Tyon Lasermouse

Can I do this with an R9 270?

i saved my old bios, edited it, disabled my card and flashed. now im stuck as seen above. i stuck with linus commands but... its stuck

plz help :(

I successfully hacked 127.0.0.1! Now I cant turn on my computer :/

6700K - z170 Pro Gaming - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - WD Black 1TB - WD Green 3TB - External Hard drive 3TB - Zotac GTX 970 Amp! Core Edition - Fractal Define R5 - RM650 - Razer BW Chroma - Roccat Tyon Lasermouse

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know I can change the fan curve and hysteresis in Afterburner on Windows to control the stop-and-go of my fans, but I'm on Mac OS X most of the time on my Hackintosh PC.

My question is, could I just edit the fan curve in the VBIOS instead?  Would changing these settings in BIOS Tweaker be okay?

RPM11: 0

TMP11: 60.00 (currently set at stock 40.00)

PER11: 33

RPM12: 2600

TMP12: 80.00

PER12: 80 (currently set at stock 60)

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't work for me. Almost shat bricks when my didn't boot with any displays. But i restarted my pc some times and it was reverted back to normal. 

TL;DR 

I'm just gonna buy The G1 edtion of cards from now on. Less hassle.

• 3 weeks later...

Spoiler alert: If you cannot be bothered to read, basically it all went haywire, and then i fixed it.

This all went very well, up until the nvflash part. I have had no blue screens since i installed Windows 10 (approx 13 minutes after launch), but for some reason, that damn computer decided, that in the middle of the nvflash procedure was an appropriate time to do so. And thus followed a couple of hours of trial-and-swearing.

Basically the computer completely refused to output any kind of video signal. No output through the iGPU. No output through the (apparently bricked) GTX 980. No output through my old GTX 670. No nothing. Or, i guess a black screen is nothing. A whole bunch of nothing. (yes, i did do a CMOS reset, to no avail).

My current computer is built in a BitFenix Pandora with a Noctua NH-L12 right next to the GPU. I used to run water-cooling, which made PC maintenance very easy, because there was so much room around the CPU. With the NH-L12 that is not the case. There is more or less no space between the cooler and the GPU. Not even a piece of 3-week-old balloon would fit through that gap. This makes it impossible to reach the tap holding down the PCI connector without removing the CPU cooler. However, that requires removing the CPU fan. This is impossible though, because you can not reach the fan bracket because of the GPU. Stupid as i am, i did not think of this when i installed it. I thought my measurements (read: luck) were perfect, when i leaned back looking very satisfied at my creation of a near-silent pc, in a very respectable form factor - a perfect fit!

After a whole bunch of [profanity removed] i finally got the [profanity again] fan removed. Then the cooler, and i could finally get to the [you get the point] damn PCI tap. Out went the GPU. Perfect. After a quick temporary install of my trusty old (easy to remove) H100, i successfully booted up the computer, with display output and everything. Perfect. First bit of good news since i started this [bad word] tutorial.

Refusing to give up the 980 (i could hardly afford it the first time), i digged out the trusty old Q6600 setup. You'd be amazed how quickly you can get a computer running, when you are mad as [profanity]. Booted up the nice-to-have Windows 7 USB stick and got that thing installed. By the way; installing and booting a computer from a HDD really makes you appreciate the invention of the SSD. Still no output from the 980 though. But i could successfully get the computer booted up with the 980 plugged in, and had video through the 670.

The nVidia display driver kept crashing, and the GTX 980 had an exclamation mark in Device Manager - but at least it was recognised as a 980! I instantly fired up nvflash, found the appropriate command to use, in order to flash the second card in the system and profit! Flash went through just fine.

Then i threw the 980 back into the main rig. Fired it up with great success and SILENCE! - the fan on the 980 was completely off! After another 15 minutes i had the NH-L12 back in, all the panels closed up, and i am now writing this in near silence.

• 1 month later...

I tried this with my new 970 G1 and it works! Was already considering trading it for a MSI 970, good thing I found this tutorial... Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys i need some help with this!

Sooo I just build my first Computer a few days ago and everything is super fine! I managed the overclock with the help of this forum and i am super happy with how everything turned out!

The only thing that bugs me is how loud my GPU fan is on idle. I have an "ASUS Turbo GTX970 4GB OC" and I just cant manage to get it to 0%. It runs at 28% the whole time.

I followed the tutorial and flashed the new settings on it but it didnt change. I can set the Fanspeed in "MSI Afterburn" to 0% but the Card just keeps running >:(.

So I thought that I failed with something and tryed to do it again. After saving the GPU bios to edit it, I saw that it has the 0% settings just like in the video which means, that the settings should be on the card, right ?:S

How can I make my new PC perfect and finish that tutorial? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.