XB360 Controller Returning to Zero check

exyia

finally had enough games to warrant buying a controller again (gave away my old one years ago as a birthday present).

Had to buy a brand new one as my local gamestop didn't have any official used ones (just offbrand junk that I don't trust).

It's been a long time since I used one, but the analogue sticks just don't feel very accurate. the sensitivity, regardless of tinkering with in-game settings in racing games, just feels off. Then I tried Microsoft's own help page on how to calibrate, and I'm noticing that my analogue sticks are absolutely TERRIBLE at returning to zero.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-other-devices/windows/xbox-controller-for-windows-configure

Again - this is a brand new unit in a new box - are 360 controllers all this terrible? Can others with one check how accurate they return to zero after being moved? I've calibrated 3 times and it's hopeless. Just wanting to confirm if I got a possible lemon/bad QC'd product or I should start looking at a different controller (the 360 control sticks always felt a little loose in it's deadzone, so maybe this is just common)

here are screenshots of just randomly pushing the stick a direction, then letting go and letting it return to zero (unsuccessfully and inconsistently as you can see)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126882712@N04/15905135057/

realized the pic was saved at a low res after the fact, so here are the values I got:

Raw data:

X-Axis        Y-Axis

1st        35296       31388

2nd       34651       30434

3rd        32929       33191

4th        33897       34628

5th        34328       32767

6th        34220       32661

rest you can see on the screenshot

honestly this feels like junk.....are your controllers this inaccurate and poorly returning to zero?

Please share - this controller is definitely being returned, just not sure if I try another one or go with a different controller entirely (xb1 or PS4) if all 360 controllers are this shoddily made