Haswell Onboard VRMs

mvitkun

This is just a random discussion topic so I thought it'd fit in better in general discussion than cpu's,but feel free to move it if you disagree mods. :)

Okay so now for the question;Do you think it's possible for the quality of the VRM's, that are on the chip, to variate significantly from the norm,or to phrase it differently,is it possible for a certain batch of haswell chips to have significantly worse VRM's,to the point that they become the limiting factor in average overclocks (4.4 - 4.6 ghz)?

If the answer is something really obvious, I'm sorry,and feel free to tell me the answer.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

VRM(Chokes, MOSFETs, Capacitors, etc) is still on the motherboard. Only the Voltage regulator, which is a tiny chip which controls the voltage is on the actual CPU, I'm pretty sure they are all pretty mcuh identical and can't affect performance. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

VRM(Chokes, MOSFETs, Capacitors, etc) is still on the motherboard. 

I understand that part lol,I don't have any misconception that they got all the power delivery components on die.

I'm just wondering if they can variate in quality enough to the point where they significantly degrade overclocking ability,though I wonder if they're all really 'identical'. 

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I understand that part lol,I don't have any misconception that they got all the power delivery components on die.

I'm just wondering if they can variate in quality enough to the point where they significantly degrade overclocking ability,though I wonder if they're all really 'identical'. 

Short answer is no. They'll all be so identical to the point that they either "work" or "don't work", and the ones which don't work shouldn't get sold.