My 7th Blue Screen this Month

GrandNoodleLite

About a month ago I got a few blue screens that I think I fixed by restoring my system image. Shortly after that I upgraded my graphics card from a nvidia gtx 570 to a superclocked gtx 980 (my current specs are listed below). After this I got more blue screens. I don't know if whatever was causing the blue screens before the upgrade is still causing it or if it's something new since I upgraded my video card so shortly after the blue screen was "fixed". Anyway, I started taking pictures of these blue screens whenever they came up so I could look up how to fix them later. I wasn't getting any dump files because apparently my computer was restarting before they were saved. I only recently figured out how to stop it from auto restarting when I got these blue screens, so I actually have a dump file for my latest blue screen which is in the dropbox folder I linked below.

I really need help. I just got my 7th blue screen of death this month. All of these blue screens have been different except for two that I got in the first week of this month. These blue screens used to come up randomly no matter what I was doing. I remember one of the early blue screens interrupting a youtube video I was watching. Now, after trying multiple "fixes" I only seem to get blue screens when I am playing a video game. I have had two blue screens while playing Team Fortress 2, I've had three blue screens when playing Garry's Mod, and one blue screen when playing Assassin's Creed Unity. The blue screen I got while playing ACU reset most of my steam settings.

I also want to say really quick that I have a lot of games downloaded and that with my internet connection it would take days to download and reinstall all of them. I'm also close to my data limit for the month, so I can't exactly reinstall windows and all of my games "just to test it and see if that works". I only want to have to do that as a last resort.

Here is a link to the dropbox folder with screenshots of all the blue screens I got this month as well as the dump file for my last blue screen.

The dump file and a picture of my latest blue screen is in the folder labeled "My Latest Blue Screen".

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r694ze5r4kfe02t/AABw5_D8GR49FMDP0k-lmVona?dl=0

My current specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1

BIOS version 1203

Intel Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60Hz

Evga Superclocked GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0

32GB of Ram (31.97GB usable)

Nvidia High Definition Audio Sound Card

I really need help. I'm reading these articles saying that the blue screen of death is supposed to be very rare in windows 7 and here I am getting them almost daily.  :(

The xxxxx24 code points to a damage or missing ntfs.sys file. Run Error-checking to try to fix that.

xxxxx3B is a video driver error.

xxxxx34 is a cache error.

Seeing these, how old is your drive? Most of these point to software errors caused by corrupted or missing files. You can check out Faultwire.com to learn more about each (that's where I went). My gut is telling me that your system drive is on it's last legs. If you have to replace it and reinstall windows, copy your Steamapps/common folder to a seperate location (external drive or something). Then after you've reinstalled steam, copy it back to the same place and when Steam goes to install the game, it will detect existing files and will only download the missing ones. I do this with my Skyrim because I mod it. I keep and clean version on another drive.

3more and you get a free coffee at starbucks.

I guess oem mainboard? Acer? Dell?

Tell us the code >:-o

The xxxxx24 code points to a damage or missing ntfs.sys file. Run Error-checking to try to fix that.

xxxxx3B is a video driver error.

xxxxx34 is a cache error.

Seeing these, how old is your drive? Most of these point to software errors caused by corrupted or missing files. You can check out Faultwire.com to learn more about each (that's where I went). My gut is telling me that your system drive is on it's last legs. If you have to replace it and reinstall windows, copy your Steamapps/common folder to a seperate location (external drive or something). Then after you've reinstalled steam, copy it back to the same place and when Steam goes to install the game, it will detect existing files and will only download the missing ones. I do this with my Skyrim because I mod it. I keep and clean version on another drive.

1. How do I run error checking? Are you talking about the chkdsk command in the command prompt? If so, I have already done that., and since I haven't gotten it since the 4th, i think that fixed that particular blue screen.

2. My hard drive is less than 2 years old.

3. Faultwire.com seems to be telling me that I need to update my drivers. The last good config option doesn't seem to apply to me because I can login to windows. I already have the latest service pack, and since I don't know which drivers are causing the problem I can't really uninstall the drivers.

4. Ah yes. Thanks for the advice w/ the steam files. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if it does I'll be sure to do that.

3more and you get a free coffee at starbucks.

I guess oem mainboard? Acer? Dell?

Tell us the code >:-o

It's an Asus motherboard. What code?

1. How do I run error checking? Are you talking about the chkdsk command in the command prompt? If so, I have already done that., and since I haven't gotten it since the 4th, i think that fixed that particular blue screen.

3. Faultwire.com seems to be telling me that I need to update my drivers. The last good config option doesn't seem to apply to me because I can login to windows. I already have the latest service pack, and since I don't know which drivers are causing the problem I can't really uninstall the drivers.

4. Ah yes. Thanks for the advice w/ the steam files. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if it does I'll be sure to do that.

The model of your mainboard not only the brand

did you update windows ?  You might still have the bad one that caused havoc.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

It can be the damaged files in windows, any automated overclock, overvoltage done by the mainboard, or broken ram.

The DDR3 shouldn´t get any more than 1.5v and should not be overclocked, don´t even use the XMP profiles by intel.

Try this: 

The model of your mainboard not only the brand

That's all I know about it.

did you update windows ?  You might still have the bad one that caused havoc.

Windows Update says that windows is up to date, so ya.

It can be the damaged files in windows, any automated overclock, overvoltage done by the mainboard, or broken ram.

The DDR3 shouldn´t get any more than 1.5v and should not be overclocked, don´t even use the XMP profiles by intel.

Try this: 

I have a superclocked gtx 980, beyond that everything is the same as it has been for years. If anything else got overclocked I don't know about it. I don't even know what XMP profiles are, so I doubt I used them. As for the youtube video, I did that soon after I got the blue screen and haven't gotten that particular blue screen since December 4th, so I guess it worked. I still got the other blue screens though. Just to be clear though, I never got a blue screen while starting up windows or logging in.

Update: I just used Driver Genius to update all of my out of date drivers. My video card driver was already up to date since I have the geforce experience. Not sure if these out of date drivers caused any of these blue screens, but we'll see if that makes a difference.

I guess it´s worth a try to reinstall windows.

I think your windows has your old gtx580 still in the registry.

Maybe you can try to "clean" the registry with ccleaner.

I guess it´s worth a try to reinstall windows.

I think your windows has your old gtx580 still in the registry.

Maybe you can try to "clean" the registry with ccleaner.

I'll try using ccleaner and see if that helps. I tried to delete the nvidia stuff in my registry when I was uninstalling my nvidia drivers after my last blue screen, but I could only delete some of the files because it said I was still using them, but I'll try cleaning my registry with ccleaner and see if that helps.

Code 3B referes to a video driver issue: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff558949%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Code 19 is a driver pool issue: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557389%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Code 24 can refer to either disk corruption or a depletion of non-paged pool memory (in this case I think the latter is what applies to OP): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557433%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Code 1E in your case is a memory access violation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557408%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Code 34 is another reference to depletion of non paged pool memory: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557491%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

So here is what you do. There are two possible things wrong here. Either you have a corrupted graphics driver (which is the easiest to fix) or you have bad RAM. What you should do FIRST is uninstall your video drivers completely, and then reboot. Then go to nvidias website and download geforce experience and let it find the correct driver for you. If that fixes your issue great! If not you need to test your RAM (actually I might do this anyway). So we need to create a bootable USB stick for memtest.

First, download Yumi: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/YUMI/YUMI-2.0.1.2.exe

Then, download memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.zip

Next, instert a spare USB drive and open Yumi. Select the USB drive from the first dropdown menu and check the box that says format first (make sure there is nothing important on that drive).

Then, select Memtest86+ from the second drop down menu. Click Browse next to the third box and navigate to the .zip file that we downloaded for memtest and select it.

Finally, click "Create" and watch it go.

Once it's finished, shut down your computer (leave the usb drive plugged in) and then turn it back on. Depending on what brand of motherboard you have, mash your boot key as it POSTs and load into your bootable device menu (it will be a function key. Asus is F8, most others are F12, but they vary. just do a good search for "motherboard brand boot key" and mash that button as the system POSTs) and boot to your flash drive.

Then, select the "System Tools" menu and then select memtest.

It will load into a blue screen with a LOT of information on it. As it runs, if it encounters any errors they will show up red on the lower half of the screen. If you get a red error (even just one) turn off your computer, head to newegg or amazon, and reslove yourself to the fact that you need to buy new RAM. If you don't get errors let it run through at LEAST 4 passes before you turn it off. As memtest usually takes a while (especially with 8GB of RAM) it's probably best to start it before you go to bed and let ot run overnight.

Intel Core i7-4790k | 16GB HyperX Fury | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW

The work you do while you procrastinate is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life. -Jessica Hische

Ok, it's been over a week since my last blue screen so hopefully that means it's been fixed. Here's everything I did in case someone else gets this problem.

1. I reinstalled my nvidia graphics card driver by uninstalling the drivers normally, then deleting all the nvidia files from my "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)", "AppData\Roaming", and my "AppData\Local" folders (or at least, all the nvidia folders I could delete). After that I reinstalled the driver normally.

2. I fixed all of the registry errors with a program called "System Mechanic".

3. I used another program called "Driver Genius" to update all of the out of date drivers on my computer. Apparently I had a lot of out of date chipset drivers.

After doing those things it looks like my blue screens have been fixed. Like I said it's been over a week since my last one, so hopefully that means it's fixed. I will post here again if I get another one. Thanks for the help everyone!