7870 Overclocking with Sapphire TriXX Problem

Mattg123

I was trying to overclock my HD 7870 Pitcairn with Sapphire TriXX, but it wasn't letting me change the voltage, so I updated to the latest TriXX, 4.60 I believe.

This one lets me change the voltage, but the thing is the voltage is constant all the time, even if I restart without launching TriXX. I even uninstalled TriXX and the voltage stays the same as what I had previously set in TriXX.

This is really annoying because it doesn't go into it's low power state any more at ~0.85V, and also I don't want to use TriXX any more, but the voltage is messed up and the only way to change it is through TriXX now, and it will be constant at what I set it.

Any idea how to fix it?

post-9177-0-09742000-1371584086.png

It could be possible the manufacturer for your card has locked the voltage. XFX I know for sure locks voltage.

| CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.26v | GPU: AMD R9 290X @ 1090MHz |

| RAM: 2x4GB Samsung Green @ 2133MHz OC |

| PSU: Corsair RM850 | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | 

I actually just fixed it... Installed the old TrIXX, reset everything, restarted, and removed it. Now the voltage changes like it used to, down to 0.825V at idle and ~1.16V under load. 

As for locked voltage, I don't think that's the problem, I could change it fine, it just didn't work the way I intended for it to. There is a box in the settings that said "Force constant voltage" which was unchecked but it was still always constant, and for some reason when I removed TriXX it was still constant.