Issue Overclocking my FX-8350

r3xx3r

Hey guys,

I am hoping to get some help on overclocking my AMD FX-8350 to 5Ghz. I am starting to think I have lost the silicon lottery, but wanted to see if anyone has any advice first.

Here are my specs:

AMD FX-8350

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen 1

Raijintek Triton Dual 120mm AIO Liquid cooler

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming edition (just 1 for now)

Windows 8.1 x64

Cooler Master HAF X case

Here are my current BIOS settings

BIOS Settings

CPU ratio   24
Turbo Core off
CPU bus 200
Pci frequency  auto
Memory  1333mhz
Cpu/nb 2200mhz
Ht link 2600mhz
Cpu spread spectrum off
Pcie spread spectrum off
Epu power saving mode off
CPU load line calibration extreme
Cpu/nb load line calibration extreme
CPU current capability 140%
Cpu/nb current capability 130%
Cpu power phase control extreme
CPU voltage frequency
CPU power duty control c.probe current
CPU manual voltage 1.468750
Cpu/nb manual voltage 1.2
Dram voltage 1.5

Cool  N quiet always disabled
C1e disabled
Svm disabled
Core c6 state disabled
Hpc mode disabled
Apm master mode disabled

Iommu disabled

Hpet enabled

I have tried a number of things, I started overclocking with the cpu bus but i couldnt get to 4.8Ghz stable, with the CPU ratio I am now at 4.8Ghz and stable and with decent temps, after running Prime95 Small FFT for about 15 minutes, my temps are 55.9°.

Does any1 have any suggestions on how to get my cpu to 5ghz??  also, CPU-Z doesnt show my Core Voltage the same as my BIOS, it shows it as 1.440v to 1.452v idle, when in my BIOS (i guess, technically, UEFI)  the cpu voltage is set to 1.468750. any ideas... 

thanks guys, hopefully i can get this to work. I tried for many hours yesterday to get my overclock any higher than 4.8ghz, but couldnt get it stable.

Raise the CPU manual voltage to 1.488(look at CPU-Z voltage when under load) Thats more important.

Raise CPU/NB to 1.25

Enable HPC

Raise Ram Voltage to 1.525

It may take 1.5-1.55V to get to 5Ghz stable.

Running that ram that slow it hurt performance. Also only run 2 dimms if possible.

Raise the CPU manual voltage to 1.488(look at CPU-Z voltage when under load) Thats more important.

Raise CPU/NB to 1.25

Enable HPC

Raise Ram Voltage to 1.525

It may take 1.5-1.55V to get to 5Ghz stable.

Running that ram that slow it hurt performance. Also only run 2 dimms if possible.

thanks man, i will test these settings soon. I have 2 16GB kits, 1 of them is 1333mhz and 1 is 1600mhz but i would rather have 32gb at 1333mhz vs 16gb at 1600mhz, if i remember linus' video correct, the speed doesnt affect performance much

::EDIT::  with the current settings I posted in the first post, when I run Prime95 the Core Voltage in CPU-Z jumps to 1.488v. Is that where it should be monitored? or should I raise it from the 1.46v in the bios to 1.488v (cause i belive cpu-z will show it to be 1.500v if i do that). why does the voltage in CPU-z differ from the bios setting, should it just be a constant voltage...

thanks man, i will test these settings soon. I have 2 16GB kits, 1 of them is 1333mhz and 1 is 1600mhz but i would rather have 32gb at 1333mhz vs 16gb at 1600mhz, if i remember linus' video correct, the speed doesnt affect performance much

::EDIT::  with the current settings I posted in the first post, when I run Prime95 the Core Voltage in CPU-Z jumps to 1.488v. Is that where it should be monitored? or should I raise it from the 1.46v in the bios to 1.488v (cause i belive cpu-z will show it to be 1.500v if i do that). why does the voltage in CPU-z differ from the bios setting, should it just be a constant voltage...

If more ram at lower speeds was better then I would be running both of my Ripjaws kits with my 8350. Instead I run 1 2x8GB at 1866 CL9. It actually does help on FX CPUs. 

You have LLC set to extreme. So anything you set in the bios 1.46 will overshoot that voltage while under load which is fine. Remove the slow kit of ram, put the ram to 1600mhz and try again. All your doing is pushing the CPU IMC for no reason and slowing the memory speed all at the same time. You are not getting any additional bandwidth by running 4 sticks.

If more ram at lower speeds was better then I would be running both of my Ripjaws kits with my 8350. Instead I run 1 2x8GB at 1866 CL9. It actually does help on FX CPUs. 

You have LLC set to extreme. So anything you set in the bios 1.46 will overshoot that voltage while under load which is fine. Remove the slow kit of ram, put the ram to 1600mhz and try again. All your doing is pushing the CPU IMC for no reason and slowing the memory speed all at the same time. You are not getting any additional bandwidth by running 4 sticks.

Okay, I will try that. Would it be better to run 4x 8GB sticks at 1600Mhz? or just stick with 2x 8GB sticks at 1600Mhz? 

Okay, I will try that. Would it be better to run 4x 8GB sticks at 1600Mhz? or just stick with 2x 8GB sticks at 1600Mhz? 

2X8GB at 1600.

Once you get it stable and happy then you can start bumping ram voltage and try to get it to 1866.