CPU and GPU Bottlenecking

Ok, I have an intel Core i5 750 @2.66Ghz,EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 660Ti SC, 8 Gb of Kingston HyperX Blu RAM, 2x 1 TB Seagate HDD and a 600 Watt powersupply. Do you guys think in any way that my configuration is being bottlenecked in any way? if so, how would you recomend I upgrade my system?

Well, what problems are you experiencing?

I'd say it looks like you have slow hard drives. Which ruins almost all systems. Also include more info in your next thread :]

There should be no bottlenecking for gaming. As Wats said, HDDs are a bit of a bottleneck to any use of a computer in general, but they don't really bottleneck gaming. You could consider an SSD, but at the moment if you're only gaming, the only things that would be negatively affected are load/save times.

Thank you Wats and Dim for the reply! I guess the only reason keeping me back from buying an SSD is the face that the computer in speaking is a Dell Computer purchased in late 2010 that I upgraded from a Core i5 650 @3.2 Ghz, AMD Radeon 5450 and 6 Gb of DDR3-1333. So, in the dell motherboard I am not sure if they included support for SATA 3 6.0 Gbs/s. I know a SSD would speed up the PC, even on SATA 2 3 Gbs/s. I heard there are programs that can determine if the speed of the SATA ports on the motherboard, would you happen to know of any?

Thank you Wats and Dim for the reply! I guess the only reason keeping me back from buying an SSD is the face that the computer in speaking is a Dell Computer purchased in late 2010 that I upgraded from a Core i5 650 @3.2 Ghz' date=' AMD Radeon 5450 and 6 Gb of DDR3-1333. So, in the dell motherboard I am not sure if they included support for SATA 3 6.0 Gbs/s. I know a SSD would speed up the PC, even on SATA 2 3 Gbs/s. I heard there are programs that can determine if the speed of the SATA ports on the motherboard, would you happen to know of any?[/quote']

We can probably find out for you if you know what motherboard you have.

To see if you have a bottleneck, play some games and have MSI Afterburner for GPU monitoring and the Task Manager for the CPU.

When you play a game, look at MSI Afterburner and Task Manager. If one of them is showing 90%-100% usage, then that is the bottleneck.

Depending on the game, the hard drive could be a bottleneck. I don't know of any programs specifically for SATA port monitoring...

Thank you Wats and Dim for the reply! I guess the only reason keeping me back from buying an SSD is the face that the computer in speaking is a Dell Computer purchased in late 2010 that I upgraded from a Core i5 650 @3.2 Ghz' date=' AMD Radeon 5450 and 6 Gb of DDR3-1333. So, in the dell motherboard I am not sure if they included support for SATA 3 6.0 Gbs/s. I know a SSD would speed up the PC, even on SATA 2 3 Gbs/s. I heard there are programs that can determine if the speed of the SATA ports on the motherboard, would you happen to know of any?[/quote']

True, but it might not be easy to get info on the motherboard because it is looks to be a Dell OEM board. I will definitely have to look it up at a later date, because where I live it is quite late

@Drew, you can download CPU-Z from CPUID.com and when you launch the program, go to the "Mainboard" tab and it should tell you the motherboard and model.

@EChondo Wow, I completely forgot about CPU-Z, Ok i'll take a look there.

If it's a prebuilt system, do you have the model number of your Dell Computer?

The computer is a Dell inspiron 580, that was upgraded, like I said

I didn't say the computer at first , but I said it was upgraded

the faster the cpu in any system will always help it's frame rate, but your cpu wouldn't be holding back your graphics card at all.

games really aren't all that cpu intensive

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

the faster the cpu in any system will always help it's frame rate, but your cpu wouldn't be holding back your graphics card at all.

No man, If he is planning to play modern games or softs his cpu will be the bottleneck of the system for sure..

drew700boo,

your cpu is very inferior that your graphic card, intel i5 750 was one of the first launched 1156 cpus in 2009, its hasnt enough power run modern games and soft despite being a good cpu

the term bottle neck is thrown around way to loosely, it takes extreme hardware imbalances to actually cause a noticeable difference in games. There isn't a desktop nehalem i5 that would be stopping you from playing your games to the extent your graphics card wants to.

I wouldn't build a system with one but be realistic dude

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |