GTX 470 + Pentium G3258 w/ a 500w EVGA 80+ Vanilla?

Hi again great forum dwellers of LTT.

I recently sold a system to a customer who got back to me about purchasing a system for his little brother - I have a GTX 470 on-hand and I was curious if a 500W EVGA 80+ Vanilla can handle the G3258 (OC'd to 4.2 GHz @ 1.250 VCore) and the Fermi card without cutting it too close. The system has 4x 120mm fans for cooling as well as a Hyper TX3 CPU cooler.

Any information would be awesome, or past experiences with GTX 470 + G3258 pairings would be even better!

Thanks, and have happy holidays.

550W is the minimum for a GTX 470, you are cutting it a bit close for my tastes.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-470/specifications

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I had a Gtx 480 overclocked with a overclocked i7 @650watt powersuppy, so about 500watt total on the 12volt rail without getting even warm.

I think it is enough

550W is the minimum for a GTX 470, you are cutting it a bit close for my tastes.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-470/specifications

I did check the hardware requirements out but thought since it's a dual-core Haswell instead of the 95 - 125w chips from back in 2010, it might be okay.

This PSU has 40 amps on the 12v rail, iirc the 470 requires 35 amps.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I had a Gtx 480 overclocked with a overclocked i7 @650watt powersuppy, so about 500watt total on the 12volt rail without getting even warm.

I think it is enough

Cool, so a OC'd G3258 + Non-OC'd 470 ought to be alright with what I have on hand without having to purchase another PSU?

Cool, so a OC'd G3258 + Non-OC'd 470 ought to be alright with what I have on hand without having to purchase another PSU?

This should be no problem at all, even if the cd drive and all usb devices are plugged in.

This should be no problem at all, even if the cd drive and all usb devices are plugged in.

Awesome, I appreciate the help. I felt the need to ask since I saw the 550w requirement (Of course this was with older, more power consuming architecture like Lynnfield and the AMD 9xx series.)

The G3258 can still pull ~100watts when OC'd, under load. It's not far off an old Q6600 (Kentsfield) chip.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

The G3258 can still pull ~100watts when OC'd, under load. It's not far off an old Q6600 (Kentsfield) chip.

Hmm, so 100 watts (G3258) 300 watts (GTX 470), + 100 more left over for fans, RAM, Mobo, and the 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

Ok now I have to agree, just watched the power consumption overclocked 4ghz+

That little dual core really likes to waste power.

@Shrake907

I have to say for safety reasons, drive the g3258@ stock speeds.

It´ll work overclocked if you use furmark and prime95 at the same time,but it´ll draw much power for sure.

Not a problem while gaming, but still I like a gap for security, keep both stock until you can afford a better system that you don´t need to overclock.

Ok now I have to agree, just watched the power consumption overclocked 4ghz+

That little dual core really likes to waste power.

@Shrake907

I have to say for safety reasons, drive the g3258@ stock speeds.

It´ll work overclocked if you use furmark and prime95 at the same time,but it´ll draw much power for sure.

Not in gaming, but still I like a gap for security, keep both stock until you afford a better system that you don´t need to overclock.

The build is for a customer's little bro, so the best solution is both @ stock or buy a good quality 550W PSU?

The build is for a customer's little bro, so the best solution is both @ stock or buy a good quality 550W PSU?

To tell you the truth, sell the 470 and get a card that doesn´t sound like a jet and needs half the power as a waterheater for home :,D

To tell you the truth, sell the 470 and get a card that doesn´t sound like a jet and needs half the power as a waterheater for home :,D

Hahah, yeah that's a good idea.

GTX 750 Ti would prolly be what I would choose instead.

I played 3 years with a gtx 480 oc´ed and a oc´ed i7, but I can´t suggest you same. Sure it worked for me, even the powersupply didn´t get warm.

I played 3 years with a gtx 480 oc´ed and a oc´ed i7, but I can´t suggest you same. Sure it worked for me, even the powersupply didn´t get warm.

Very nice, my i5 750 system lasted a very long time with a 580. This particular system (G3258 / GTX 470) is for a client's younger brother. The 470 I have is Gigabyte's offering of the reference design.