Added a third monitor... Rather urgent...

thorpj

Hi,

So i scored an extra "Monitor" for my setup, plugged it in, and now my primary display isn't recognised, and i can't figure this out just yet.

iTae3ei.png

Here's a list of my monitors:

[spoiler=http://i.imgur.com/73gcLOT.png]73gcLOT.png

Physical Monitors:

3. BenQ Rl2455HM - 1920x1080 - left display

2. Dell 1704 FPV - 1280x1024 - middle display

1. Samsung - 768 or 1080p - right-most display

Virtual Monitors:

4. This exists because i use quicksync to record with OBS.

So i can't make the BenQ the primary display, heck, i can't even get it to display anything.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Disable quicksync and test again.

I don´t think your gpu supports more than 3 displays? idk.

EDIT:

From the sapphire forum

I have successfully connected four monitors to my Toxic R9 280x and here is how I did it.

Two DVI out to two DVI cables to DVI in on both left and right monitors.
HDMI out to HDMI to DVI cable to DVI in on centre monitor.
Mini Display Port out (closest mDP to HDMI port) to mDP to VGA adapter (Accell Eyefinity Certified) to VGA cable to VGA in on fourth monitor.

The second mDP (furthest away from the HDMI port) would not put out a signal when both DVI ports and the first mDP were in use.
The second mDP would not put out a signal when both DVI ports and the HDMI port were in use.
The second mDP WOULD put out a signal if used by itself.

These are all of the combinations that I tried but it is possible that another combo may work.

In Windows it was necessary to 'Extend Desktop' to the fourth monitor. Go to 'Control Panel', 'Appearance and Personalization', 'Adjust screen resolution', then select your extra monitor in the 'Display' drop down menu and then select 'Extend desktop to this display' in the 'Multiple displays' drop down menu.

I hope this will assist others in getting the most from their GPU. I am some what 'miffed' that sapphire.com has been totally useless in assisting me with this issue and the lack of an online manual to explain these limitations is completely inexcusable. Welcome to the 21st century, Schizoid Man.

Later...

"I'm Rick James"

Later...

"I'm Rick James"

I have an r9 280x

will disable quicksync

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

plug 1 peripheral monitor into the mobo instead of GPU?

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

plug 1 peripheral monitor into the mobo instead of GPU?

My thought too :)

I discovered some paperwork that came with the GPU. Says i'd need either 2 DP + 1 DVI or HDMI or VGA OR 1 DP + Any 2 of DVI or HDMI or VGA. 

my setup (i should have mentioned which cables i was using earlier...)  is DVI, DVI, HDMI from left to right.

but don't worry about that, it worked!

I have one last question: Do i need to make any changes to my DPI, since i'm using another monitor?

My thought too :)

I discovered some paperwork that came with the GPU. Says i'd need either 2 DP + 1 DVI or HDMI or VGA OR 1 DP + Any 2 of DVI or HDMI or VGA. 

my setup (i should have mentioned which cables i was using earlier...)  is DVI, DVI, HDMI from left to right.

but don't worry about that, it worked!

I have one last question: Do i need to make any changes to my DPI, since i'm using another monitor?

I don´t think so

I don´t think so

Ok,

for some reason the display's recommended res is 768p. I can push it up to 1080p, but it looks worse, and icons look small 

Ok,

for some reason the display's recommended res is 768p. I can push it up to 1080p, but it looks worse, and icons look small 

The best thing you can do is to use the displays recommended native resolution

The best thing you can do is to use the displays recommended native resolution

Agreed, it looks better at 768p (768p master race, just like on console)

Thanks for your help!

Now for....

productivity_o_1268519.jpg

the 280x only supports 3 screens 

That's great, because that's all i need!

That's great, because that's all i need!

why didn't you check to see if your GPU supported more than 3 screens before you got the other screen 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

why didn't you check to see if your GPU supported more than 3 screens before you got the other screen

I'm not sure that you've read my posts. I'm only using 3 monitors, two of which I obtained for free.

So no problem. Besides, one monitor is connected to the iGPU, so I've got the capacity to add another monitor to the GPU, plus 1-2 more to iGPU.

Although I do have a question for you, if I added a other 280x down the line, would I still be stuck with three monitors max? (Ignoring iGPU)

I'm not sure that you've read my posts. I'm only using 3 monitors, two of which I obtained for free.

So no problem. Besides, one monitor is connected to the iGPU, so I've got the capacity to add another monitor to the GPU, plus 1-2 more to iGPU.

Although I do have a question for you, if I added a other 280x down the line, would I still be stuck with three monitors max? (Ignoring iGPU)

well yes and know because you can have 2 R9 280xs and have up to 6 monitors but if you enable crossfire you are back down to 3 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

well yes and know because you can have 2 R9 280xs and have up to 6 monitors but if you enable crossfire you are back down to 3 

right, thanks