netflix streaming quality settings what do they do?

Teletha

I just wonder what that option to the right (CDN) is and why can't i change the audio bitrate. But i mean the audio bitrate is really low 64? am i mistaken cause the series i download run in AC3 384kbps i mean that is a lot vs 64?

1VO7rb4.jpg

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

Thats SD quality audio. Likely because higher quality one isn't avalible.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Btw , the Relation between Audio bitrate and percieved quality isn't linear.

Its more like this

0PfYIeR.png

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Since when does netflix have "options"? 

Gaming PC: CPU: 4770k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 RAM: 16GB Corsair vengeance 1600Mhz Mobo: ASRock Extreme 9/AC PSU: Corsair AX760i Case: Corsair 750D CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i HDD: Samsung EVO 250GB, 1TB HDD, 4TB HDD 

Since when does netflix have "options"? 

Netflix has always had streaming options, you can set streaming quality from low 240p, up to 4k if available, or auto based on network.

This is the first time I have seen those settings though? What Browser is that?

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

Netflix has always had streaming options, you can set streaming quality from low 240p, up to 4k if available, or auto based on network.

This is the first time I have seen those settings though? What Browser is that?

I am able to select "Allow HD" and thats it...

Gaming PC: CPU: 4770k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 RAM: 16GB Corsair vengeance 1600Mhz Mobo: ASRock Extreme 9/AC PSU: Corsair AX760i Case: Corsair 750D CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i HDD: Samsung EVO 250GB, 1TB HDD, 4TB HDD 

If you go into your account> Playback Settings, it will give you a list of qualities to choose from.

Again, i dont know where that OP menu is located...

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

But i mean the audio bitrate is really low 64? am i mistaken cause the series i download run in AC3 384kbps i mean that is a lot vs 64?

in games and in music, high music bitrate is crucial because most people are going to be wearing fairly decent headphones and a better audio experience for music or games is always much nicer. you don't notice it that much in things like films and TV shows. It's a tradeoff, because (and I don't want to make a blanket statement here, but oh well) the vast majority of netflix users are either going to be watching it on a television or a mobile device, which all have rubbish speakers, or be old grandmas, who generally have hearing which has degraded enough that such differences in audio quality will be unnoticeable at worst anyway. 64kbps is awful for music, but for TV it's not bad. but remember that lossless m4a audio files have 128kbps bitrates, and they sound awesome (because they are "lossless") it also means that you have more bandwidth that can be dedicated as overhead for streaming the video. It's like motion blur for live 24fps video. it looks just fine.

Trust me, 64kbps is a lot better than it used to be back in the days of set-top boxes and those awful antennas. on normal speakers, I bet you $5 that if you could crank it up to 256kbps or even 384, you would not be able to hear the difference.

netflix uses silverlight for the video stuff so you can make a short hotkey command to get that menu (not while in fullscreen) CTRL+Alt+shift+S.

But i still don't know what that CDN thing is..

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

They determine whether or not your ISP will have a hissy fit and throttle the video you are trying to watch.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs