First Build! Help Please!

Go to solution Solved by chirag.rh,

Hey Guys,

Oh well, my dad rejected the idea of me getting a new system. So I guess will have to wait another year before I buy a new one. *Sigh*. Anyways, thanks a lot guys for all your help really appreciate it. Best Forum Ever.

Thanks

1. Budget & Location

Hello everyone. I'm from India, my budget is around $4000 CAD 

2. Aim

This is going to an all purpose machine gaming, programming, general use, animation rendering, video editing. The video editing and animation rendering is just basic stuff and I'm a beginner at it so I won't be doing too much heavy stuff. 

3. Monitors

I will be running a single 1080p 24 inch/25 inch monitor. I may be upgrading to 3 monitors or a 4K Monitor later down the line.

4. Peripherals

Keyboard, Mouse, Thermal Compound.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm upgrading because my 3 year old gateway laptop has become completely obsolete and rather than buying a mediocre PC, thought of getting a high end one.

I don't require all the components since I get quite a few of them locally so I will only require few components, planning to buy these from NCIX Canada since they ship to India. Although I do need to pay a 16.80% Customs Tax on the components but i can live with that.

Specs -

Intel Core i7 4770K - Rs. 25,250 / $359 CAD on NCIX - Available Locally 

Motherboard - ???

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (F3-14900CL10S-8GBXL) x2 Rs. 10,940 / $193 CAD - Available Locally

Seagate Barracuda 2TB  - Rs. 5,805 / $103 CAD - Available Locally

Case - ???

Asus GeForce GTX780 3GB x2 - $1400.00 CAD ($700 CAD for 1) - NCIX

Soundcard - ???

Seasonic Platinum 1000W - $260 CAD - NCIX (Probably going to add a third card in the future)

Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD - Rs. 15,319 / $270 CAD - Available Locally

Liquid CPU Cooler - ???

Additional Fans - Depends on case (Leaning towards Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm Fans) - Available Locally

Your advice on the parts would be greatly appreciated, and the ones with question marks means i don't know which one to purchase. 

Help please. All advice is welcome.

Look at the Swiftech H220 cooler, it's pretty good :) About case, hmmm, I would probably get Fractal design Define R4/Define XL R2. Take a look at Asus Z87 Deluxe or Sabertooth Z87, they're pretty good or if you don't like Asus, you can take a loot at the MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX :). Soundcard - can't help, look at the asus/creative for those. Everything still in your budget.

P.S.: 1 1080p. monitor for 2x GTX 780 is definitely not enough. Get 1 4k. monitor or several 1080p.

Ok, thanks so much really appreciate it. I will definitely check out the components that you suggested.

Look at the Swiftech H220 cooler, it's pretty good :) About case, hmmm, I would probably get Fractal design Define R4/Define XL R2. Take a look at Asus Z87 Deluxe or Sabertooth Z87, they're pretty good or if you don't like Asus, you can take a loot at the MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX :). Soundcard - can't help, look at the asus/creative for those. Everything still in your budget.

P.S.: 1 1080p. monitor for 2x GTX 780 is definitely not enough. Get 1 4k. monitor or several 1080p.

Is the ASRock Extreme 6 Z87 motherboard any good? Because i can get that locally and I wanted to know if it's worth buying and keeping the future in mind as well?

if i was you i would minimal get a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 monitor, orherwise you won't get the preformance out of your dual 780.

And it looks much better!

if i was you i would minimal get a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 monitor, orherwise you won't get the preformance out of your dual 780.

And it looks much better!

Thanks so much, ok I will definitely take that into consideration. Thanks

Hmmm. Yes I think it's not bad, you should even look deeper in it and maybe don't even need soundcard. (I suggest you buying everything and testing sound quality before buying any card) Although MSI/Asus will be much better in OC capabilities.

Full review: http://kitguru.net/components/cpu/zardon/asrock-z87-extreme-6-review-w-4770k-gtx770/

Ok ok, I will do that... How about Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5, I heard that it is quite good.

I'm not against buying products from NCIX...but 16% is a lot...if you have any relative or friend living in Delhi..you should ask him to get what you need from Nehru Place..

instead of RipJaws consider Mushkin Redline(get the optimal variant acc. to u) and also if you are more focusing on professional stuff then firslty you want more RAM, 16gigs is minimum... and get a Quadro or Fire Pro..and since you have pretty generous budget go with intel extreme series(49 or 39 k series)

I'm not against buying products from NCIX...but 16% is a lot...if you have any relative or friend living in Delhi..you should ask him to get what you need from Nehru Place...

Thanks, I totally agree with you on the customs tax being too much but I do not have any relative/friend who lives in Delhi, I can get premium parts here as well but I don't want to risk it, all the other components i'm getting through flipkart and I trust them since I have purchased previously and they give fantastic customer service and will replace immediately if something arrives D.O.A or is damaged.... So I wanna have some faith in what I'm purchasing. I'll definitely take your option into consideration. Thanks

It's a cool mb, can't resist to it if you get to touch it :D I will say that if you buy a sound card with THIS mb, immediately. The sound quality is amazing on this board, overclocking is very good too + it looks very nice, overall very good board in my opinion :)

Ha ha ha, sure will keep my options open just in case and do some more research... 

Ok ok, I will do that... How about Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5, I heard that it is quite good.

Keep in mind the Sniper M5 is smaller than the regular ATX size mobos . You should consider getting ASUS Maximus VI Hero/Extreme or Gigabyte Sniper5

For cases , it's pretty much up to personal preference , big ,small, /silent

-Corsair 900D

-Corsair 600T

-Fractal Design R4

Of course there are still more options, but these are just some suggestions for cases

As for sound cards, keep in mind if you go for these higher end models, try and get a high end sound system to get the most out of it

-Asus Xonar STX

-Creative sound Titanium

-Auzentech Hometheatre HD

* Auzentech hometheatre allows you to connect sound card to your video card , so you can get the most of the ingame sound effects , but it has buggy issues*

CPU Liquid cooling

Either Corsair H100i or Swifttech H220 .

instead of RipJaws consider Mushkin Redline(get the optimal variant acc. to u) and also if you are more focusing on professional stuff then firslty you want more RAM, 16gigs is minimum... and get a Quadro or Fire Pro..and since you have pretty generous budget go with intel extreme series(49 or 39 k series)

Ok I'll check out the RAM, No I don't want to really go all professional, I'm just a beginner so I won't be Utilizing that much of the Processor (the Extreme series processors) Basically after a few years when I get better at animation rendering and video editing I can buy a full fledged Workstation dedicated only for that purpose. I like your idea for sure, but I highly doubt that i will be utilizing Them for their Full potential. I'll have a look see and check it out for sure and keep an open mind. Thanks for the valuable input.

Keep in mind the Sniper M5 is smaller than the regular ATX size mobos . You should consider getting ASUS Maximus VI Hero/Extreme or Gigabyte Sniper5

For cases , it's pretty much up to personal preference , big ,small, /silent

-Corsair 900D

-Corsair 600T

-Fractal Design R4

Of course there are still more options, but these are just some suggestions for cases

As for sound cards, keep in mind if you go for these higher end models, try and get a high end sound system to get the most out of it

-Asus Xonar STX

-Creative sound Titanium

-Auzentech Hometheatre HD

* Auzentech hometheatre allows you to connect sound card to your video card , so you can get the most of the ingame sound effects , but it has buggy issues*

CPU Liquid cooling

Either Corsair H100i or Swifttech H220 .

Thanks for the advice, I will check out the motherboards you specified and see which one i like best and get back to you on that, I don't want a huge case, i want something which is neither too big nor too small, it should be big enough that there is room for future expansion and also should be silent enough with good dust resistance since I live close to the main road, dust accumulates quite quickly. The Corsair H100i and Cooler Master Seidon 240mm liquid cooler are available locally so I could purchase those, Between the H100i, Seidon 240mm and the Swiftech H220 which one would you recommend? I have previously looked into the Asus Xonar and found it to be quite nice so, I'll check out the others you mentioned and see which one would be best. Thanks a lot for your input

Thanks for the advice, I will check out the motherboards you specified and see which one i like best and get back to you on that, I don't want a huge case, i want something which is neither too big nor too small, it should be big enough that there is room for future expansion and also should be silent enough with good dust resistance since I live close to the main road, dust accumulates quite quickly. The Corsair H100i and Cooler Master Seidon 240mm liquid cooler are available locally so I could purchase those, Between the H100i, Seidon 240mm and the Swiftech H220 which one would you recommend? I have previously looked into the Asus Xonar and found it to be quite nice so, I'll check out the others you mentioned and see which one would be best. Thanks a lot for your input

Try look into Fractal Design cases , they meet alot of the requirements you need :)

Swiftech H220 has the best performance out of them all (*dont quote me on that tho) 

Ok I'll check out the RAM, No I don't want to really go all professional, I'm just a beginner so I won't be Utilizing that much of the Processor (the Extreme series processors) Basically after a few years when I get better at animation rendering and video editing I can buy a full fledged Workstation dedicated only for that purpose. I like your idea for sure, but I highly doubt that i will be utilizing Them for their Full potential. I'll have a look see and check it out for sure and keep an open mind. Thanks for the valuable input.

if that's the case then just forget about what ever component i recommended...components suggested by Pure and XXmarijn will do for you...

Try look into Fractal Design cases , they meet alot of the requirements you need :)

Swiftech H220 has the best performance out of them all (*dont quote me on that tho) 

Alright I'll look into it. Thanks.  :)

if that's the case then just forget about what ever component i recommended...components suggested by Pure and XXmarijn will do for you...

Ok Thanks anyways, really helpful Input. Really appreciate it.  :)

I looked at the motherboards but unfortunately the ones mentioned above were on back order so I have no idea when it might be in Stock, so I checked out a few more Motherboards and saw the following: 

1. MSI Z87 Mpower Max ATX LGA1150

2. Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H ATX LGA1150

3. ASUS Sabertooth Z87 ATX LGA1150

4. ASUS Z87-DELUXE ATX LGA1150

Any of these worth purchasing?

For the sound card I thought of getting an Asus Xonar DSX, is it worth it?

I looked at the motherboards but unfortunately the ones mentioned above were on back order so I have no idea when it might be in Stock, so I checked out a few more Motherboards and saw the following:

1. MSI Z87 Mpower Max ATX LGA1150

2. Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H ATX LGA1150

3. ASUS Sabertooth Z87 ATX LGA1150

4. ASUS Z87-DELUXE ATX LGA1150

Any of these worth purchasing?

out of these 4 sole competition is b/w 'MSI Z87 Mpower Max ATX LGA1150' and ' ASUS Z87-DELUXE ATX LGA1150'..and I would say MSI Mpower is definitely a better choice...

1) it has a wider range of support for memory frequency and max gigs capacity too.(which will be good in the long run)

2) killer e2205 lan chipset which has better latency than realtek 8111(though it won't be noticeable in most cases) also

many ppl have issues when playing an MMO with 8111s

3) it has 3 PCIe which can run at either x16x4x4 or x8x8x4(don't use x16x4 especially if u'll do crossfire)..while ASUS one has 2 PCIe with x16 or dual x8

4) the cost..

'

For the sound card I thought of getting an Asus Xonar DSX, is it worth it?

yeah!! you would be surprised by how much difference it makes in sound quality..

Only 1 problem, the Z87 Deluxe, sabertooth and Mpower MAX doesnt support 3-way SLI that he is planning

out of these 4 sole competition is b/w 'MSI Z87 Mpower Max ATX LGA1150' and ' ASUS Z87-DELUXE ATX LGA1150'..and I would say MSI Mpower is definitely a better choice...

1) it has a wider range of support for memory frequency and max gigs capacity too.(which will be good in the long run)

2) killer e2205 lan chipset which has better latency than realtek 8111(though it won't be noticeable in most cases) also

many ppl have issues when playing an MMO with 8111s

3) it has 3 PCIe which can run at either x16x4x4 or x8x8x4(don't use x16x4 especially if u'll do crossfire)..while ASUS one has 2 PCIe with x16 or dual x8

4) the cost..

'

Alright thanks for the input I'll check them again and make my decision.

Only 1 problem, the Z87 Deluxe, sabertooth and Mpower MAX doesnt support 3-way SLI that he is planning

Thanks for the input, I'll see a few more Motherboards and decide, the 3-way SLI is only in the future, so who knows what will happen by then, but either way I'll see some more and decide since I'm not in any hurry. Thanks a lot.