First build wont post

Code Erebus

Hi,

I am trying to build my first pc and as linus suggests you should do a test build out of case to make sure it posts. I tried that but it doesnt seem to work. I am wondering if its a possible power supply issue. After connecting the psu and connecting the cpu cooler to the correct header it didnt run and dvi doesnt see any output. I tried erasing the defaults for the bios to see if by default it doesnt work but that didnt work. I have checked to see if I connected the power incorrectly, It appears I have plugged it in correctly. I cant work out whats wrong and its bothering me because i was planning to give this computer to my dad after I built it.

More detail please: Are the fans/lights coming on? If they are make sure your monitor is plugged in to power and your graphics card properly.

More detail please: Are the fans/lights coming on? If they are make sure your monitor is plugged in to power and your graphics card properly.

As i said fans aren't coming on however tge light on the motherboard os coming on. Monitor is plugged in. I am running of the internal graphics of the cpu

Check eight pin, twenty four pin, make sure the psu switch is on, male sure ram is in, reseat CPU, reset BIOS etc

Did you forget the power cables for the CPU?

I am assuming you are talking about the 4pin header right next the cpu? Thats plugged in

Check eight pin, twenty four pin, make sure the psu switch is on, male sure ram is in, reseat CPU, reset BIOS etc

i have done all the above, hence why i made this thread :P

Edit however the mitherboard i am using only uses 4 of the 8

I am assuming you are talking about the 4pin header right next the cpu? Thats plugged in

There is an 8 pin in the top left of the mobo between the processor and back I/O

There is an 8 pin in the top left of the mobo between the processor and back I/O

Sometimes it's only a four pin

The motherboard only uses 4 of the 8 for the cpu

Try running without gpu in

I am trying to post using the cpu graphics

The motherboard only uses 4 of the 8 for the cpu

How are you starting it?

I would try removing the 24 pin and 4pin cpu cables and jump the 24pin to see if the psu works.

Look up a tutorial for jumping the 24pin if you don't know how.

Don't shock yourself :)

they're connections between 2 or more pins. its gonna look like fan connections. look at your motherboards manual to find the location of the jumpers and the manual should also say the position it should be in for a regular post. make sure theyre in the right positons. also make sure you didn't accidentaly plug a fan into it either

no theyre something else. theyre on most motherboards, i have them on my z97 motherboard