Want to get started in game making

benxie0
Go to solution Solved by Wtalk2,

could you use monodevelop for console/gui applications as well?

You can but I prefer Visual Studio when possible. It's up to you though :)

Hi, I'm 14 years old and I want to get into the whole game development/programming scene, and I have a couple of questions.

1. What should I use? Unity? UDK? I would prefer for it to be free.

2. What language should I learn? Any prerequisites for the stuff mentioned above?

3. Is it worth learning?

Thanks,

Ben

I would become fluent in C# and start messing around in Unity to start of :)

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

I would become fluent in C# and start messing around in Unity to start of :)

Thanks, any IDEs to recommend? Also, anywhere I could learn C#?

The only IDE I've ever used for C# is Visual Studio 2013 Express and I learned pretty much all I know about C# from Barnacules Nerdgasm's Codegasm series and by heavily using the MSDN.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

unity comes with monodevelop. you can use visual studio but generally i just use monodevelop since its included and modified to just work with their projects.

With Unity it is very easy to get something working pretty quick. Unity also now comes with WebGL support (I think this is in a preview), but that means you can run games natively in your browser without flash, java etc. Unity has a big community behind so I think it is a really great place to start.

You might also want to consider MonoGame (XNA) as well, which uses the same IDE as Unity does. However, you will find yourself to write a lot more code to get some results. Yet again very big community behind the project.

Then there is also the Ureal Development Kit, I haven't tried this, but it seems quite popular, might be worth to try out.

unity comes with monodevelop. you can use visual studio but generally i just use monodevelop since its included and modified to just work with their projects.

You can but I prefer Visual Studio when possible. It's up to you though :)

My Current Build: