Boot fail

Hello.

I just put toghether my first build, using the old drive from my last computer.

(It's a Samsung EVO SSD)

I did the massive fail of thinking windows would just boot normally, which I now understand is stupid.

My specs are:

Mobo: Asua P8Z77-V LX

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600

RAM: Unifosa 2x4GB (I know- dafuq is unifosa??)

PSU: Cooler Master G550M

Drive: Samsung 120GB EVO SSD

I get into the BIOS and all, but when I try booting from my old drive, it doesn't work.

What I now wonder, is, how do I go about restoring Windos?

I do not have a physical copy of Windows, but I have the KEY.

I also have my old mobo, which I COULD boot up, but that would take soo much time, since the Hearsink-holder (?) is removed.

What should I do?

Thank you!

You can install new copy of the OS from pendrive or something and just activate it with your key. Or you can ask someone to burn you OS disc. I understand that BIOS and everything is booting up correctly, just OS isn't starting?

What exactly happened when I tried to boot from the ssd? It best u do a fresh install of windows every time u make a new build.

You can install new copy of the OS from pendrive or something and just activate it with your key. Or you can ask someone to burn you OS disc. I understand that BIOS and everything is booting up correctly, just OS isn't starting?

I put everything back toghether with my old mobo (luckily it still worked..), and burned an ISO image on a USB stick (is that what you mean with pendrive?)

I then put everything back on the new motherboard, chose to boot from the stick in the BIOS, windows was loading files, and my SSD, with windows on it, was hook in. 

The problem apeared when trying to "restore" windows. It opend into the, what should I say, restore menu. With options to run cmd, windows repair stuff, memory check and all that stuff. 

I tried evertyhing, but nothing worked. 

Is this because I have a OEM version of windows? 

If so, what could I do? 

Should I sweep my SSD and install Linux or SteamOS for free?

Should I find a torrent for the windows version I own, and install that?

Should I buy a new version of windows, without OEM?

Please help!

PS!

My SSD only have some programs on it, in addition to windows. So formating it isn't a problem for me. 

Format your SSD with the stick you burned the image onto. If you want to try Linux go LiveCD first. You can always buy new windows if your copy is not working. TBH I've never had a problem with installing OEM windows in different setup so you can try just reinstalling it with youur serial key. 

AND BTW when you're changing MOBO and everything you always install new fresh copy of OS. It doesn't matter if it's Linux SteamOS or Win.

I put everything back toghether with my old mobo (luckily it still worked..), and burned an ISO image on a USB stick (is that what you mean with pendrive?)

I then put everything back on the new motherboard, chose to boot from the stick in the BIOS, windows was loading files, and my SSD, with windows on it, was hook in. 

The problem apeared when trying to "restore" windows. It opend into the, what should I say, restore menu. With options to run cmd, windows repair stuff, memory check and all that stuff. 

I tried evertyhing, but nothing worked. 

Is this because I have a OEM version of windows? 

If so, what could I do? 

Should I sweep my SSD and install Linux or SteamOS for free?

Should I find a torrent for the windows version I own, and install that?

Should I buy a new version of windows, without OEM?

Please help!

PS!

My SSD only have some programs on it, in addition to windows. So formating it isn't a problem for me. 

i believe the problem is that you have burn a "recovery disc" that fixes error on a current os, rather than an "installation disc" which installs the os.

Case: Corsair Carbide 540 Air, CPU/MOBO : I5-4690K @4.4GHz (stable) on Kraken x61 AIO Cooler, MSI Gaming 9 AC, Ram : Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1866, GPU : AMD R9-290 4GB Ref with G10 Kraken Bracket and x61 AIO Cooler, Storage : 2x Samsung 168GB SSD in Raid 0, 1x WD 4TB Black HDD, PSU : Seasonic Platinum 1200W

https://imageshack.com/i/exwScEj7j 

Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate, Mouse : Razer Ouroboros, M/Pad : Razer Goliathus Control (Extended), Sound : Astro A40 Headset W/ MixAmp Pro / Harman Kardon 2.1 Soundstick III

• 2 weeks later...

i believe the problem is that you have burn a "recovery disc" that fixes error on a current os, rather than an "installation disc" which installs the os.tt

Thank you! I found out of it, and that was the problem.. 

I formated my SSD, downloaded a cracked version of Windows and put it on my newly formaded SSD, and now everything works like a charm (almost). 

I am an honest guy, som I'm going to buy a windows key when I get the chance, probably after christmas. 

One last question. 

Would I be able to dualboot windows 7 and any Linux operating system with my current built? 

In that case, is there any tutorial on Youtube I could check out?

Thank you. 

Thank you! I found out of it, and that was the problem.. 

I formated my SSD, downloaded a cracked version of Windows and put it on my newly formaded SSD, and now everything works like a charm (almost). 

I am an honest guy, som I'm going to buy a windows key when I get the chance, probably after christmas. 

One last question. 

Would I be able to dualboot windows 7 and any Linux operating system with my current built? 

In that case, is there any tutorial on Youtube I could check out?

Thank you. 

dual boot is easy, just install a new os on your ssd with a new partition and without removing the old os.. then use easybcd to add dual boot option. just youtube "easybcd dual boot tutorials"

however, i do not recommend dual boot on your ssd, its a waste of space actually. but thats just my opinion.

Case: Corsair Carbide 540 Air, CPU/MOBO : I5-4690K @4.4GHz (stable) on Kraken x61 AIO Cooler, MSI Gaming 9 AC, Ram : Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1866, GPU : AMD R9-290 4GB Ref with G10 Kraken Bracket and x61 AIO Cooler, Storage : 2x Samsung 168GB SSD in Raid 0, 1x WD 4TB Black HDD, PSU : Seasonic Platinum 1200W

https://imageshack.com/i/exwScEj7j 

Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate, Mouse : Razer Ouroboros, M/Pad : Razer Goliathus Control (Extended), Sound : Astro A40 Headset W/ MixAmp Pro / Harman Kardon 2.1 Soundstick III