PSU power rating clarification

pravarth
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

No, it means that what it's drawing from the wall and converting into DC power is at that efficiency. A PSU will draw more AC power than it outputs in DC power due to a loss durring conversion. 

Those numbers mean that it is rated at that total output across the 12V, 3.3V and 5V rails. 

I'm a bit confused by the PSU power and efficiency rating given by manufacturers. I'm building a new system and I'm not able to choose the correct wattage required.

My specs:

Intel i7 3770k with a hyper 212 cooler, so wont oc much. Will try to reach 4GHz

asrock z77 extreme 4 motherboard

2x8gb 1600MHz crucial ballistix ram

powercolor AMD 7870 myst (tahiti le).

samsung 840 128gb ssd and a 1tb seagate drive which i already have for storage

A few fans, still havent decided the case.

The gpu has 2 6pin power connectors so can draw a maximum of 225W and according to the anandtech review the cpu should consume about 130W at load. With another 50W for all other components, it comes up to around 400W. I will be using this machine for 3d rendering as well as play games so i will be reaching peak power usage quite often.

I'm looking at 3 PSUs: Seasonic s12ii 520W or 620W or corsair tx 650W (which i've heard is a rebranded seasonic s12 )

All of these power supplies are 80plus bronze, so it runs at 85% efficiency. 

My question is when a manufacturer says 520W with 85% efficiency, do they mean they can only deliver 442W? or is 520W including the inefficiencies? 

No, it means that what it's drawing from the wall and converting into DC power is at that efficiency. A PSU will draw more AC power than it outputs in DC power due to a loss durring conversion. 

Those numbers mean that it is rated at that total output across the 12V, 3.3V and 5V rails. 

In that case i think 520W should be enough?

In that case i think 520W should be enough?

A seasonic 520 would be perfect for the specs you listed.