ASUS Xonar DX and Phoebus mic problem info

Lauen

I used to own a Xonar DX sound card. with this sound card, I experienced a big issue with the mic making strange noises. What I am talking about is: If I were to call someone on skype, it would sound nice and normal, but if I started a game when in the skype call, my mic would make strange noises. The pitch of these noises would depend on FPS in the game I was playing, check this vid 

not me, but he has the same problem.

I googled it, and ended up on ASUS forums, where some people with DX cards, like me, and actually quite a lot of people with Phoebus cards also had the problem. I tried the unified drivers, just so you know. 

I solved the problem by just getting a Xonar D2X instead, and got better sound as well. 

a guy I know bought a Phoebus, even though I strongly advised him to get a D2X instead, as I did not experience any issues with D2X cards, and heard about the mic problems with the Phoebus. He did get the same problems as me and a lot of people with Phoebus cards, and he got rid of the Phoebus in favor of a D2X, like me.

This is just some info, which I hope Linus will see, as in the livestream, he talked about unboxing a Phoebus, and using it for a build, he might have these problems.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

• 4 months later...

Yes, same problem, i will send it to warranty.

I doubt warranty will do you much good. There are very many people who have these issues. for me, I simply bought a D2X, haven't had a single issue with that. 

I hate that sons of you know who... They don't care about us because we bought it already.

I will return it and buy dx, i tried dx so i know there shouldn't be any issues. 

Is there really no possible solution to that noise problem? 

There have been someone who talked about making an EMI shield, from a piece of cardboard, and a piece of aluminium foil,, sandiched cardboard - foil - cardboard. 

It it some form of interference, either straight from graphics card, or from the PCI-e lanes. 

The D2X I have supposedly has not just an EMI shield, but also some shielding in the circuits, blocking interference from the PCI-E interface. 

From what I've experienced with my purchases of Xonar DX ( I've had two of them ( i know, this is stupid )) I didn't had the problem, so it's strange, that card with shield has problems, and card without it, hasn't.