Logitech Harmony 520

plex

recorded tv

mediabrowswer

MCEBuddy

bittorrent sync

icloud photos

win8 controller (for iOS)

The reason for the underclock is to keep the CPU as cool as possible, while slowing the fan speeds, to keep the audio fan sound down. I also use asrocks atux software to set up 4 phase power. this has allowed me to get temps down to 100 degrees (f) and barely hotter than that when under light load.

Considering a highend soundblaster card, or something of the like with more audio in options, and ditching the stero system head unti.

=====

I have no doubt that this system will do what its asks to do for a long time to come, and yet...here is my conflict.

XMBC, Mediaportal, WMC, are all very imperfect solutions.

While I use WMC with a Steam short cut to get in and out of big picture mode, to use anything else, netflix, amazon, etc, you go to the metro interface, which leads you to having to use the keyboard, which is just i think silly for the living room. Necessity? yes, but not the remote.

XMBC (now Kali), to do true premium DVR capabilities, still needs WMC to work on the back end, and in the most recent build servewmc dosent work, and even when it does, its a bit slow and not fluid.

Other options dont even do premium cable card, which is a non starter. While I am waiting for the day to ditch cable, its just not today.

I look at the market options, and sadly the xbox one fits the needs, except for DVR. Now I could just put an xbox on the tv, and pipe the htpc throught it, and while its a simple solution, its just one more box in the living room, and my goal is to consolidate everything down.

I have an apple tv as well for my apple content, but dont need it for airplay as thats on the HTPC so that works well enough.

I'll get off my first world problems train, maybe I am just complaining, and ranting, just wish things could be simplier.

is the list above your planned build?

what is your total budget? and location?

AMD and HTPC dont really mix and not a good idea to use the AMD FX

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

First a basic build log

HTPC Build

ASRock Extreme 4

AMD 8320 (underclocked)

noctuea cpu cooler

Silverstone GD07 w 3 120 case fans

16GB of DDR3 12800 ram

500 Watt builder power supply

ceton 6 tuner card

FW 800 3 port card

Logitech k20 Keyboard

Logitech c270 webcam

Bluetooth

ion record player

LG Bluray ReWriter

120 gig SSD

2 TB WD Green

3 TB WD Green

NVIDIA 970 Gigabyte ITX edition

windows 8.1 with WMC

verizon fios

Steam

Origin

Ubisoft uplay

xbox 360 x 2 controllers (wireless)

HP ir reciever and wmc remote

Logitech Harmony 520

plex

recorded tv

mediabrowswer

MCEBuddy

bittorrent sync

icloud photos

win8 controller (for iOS)

The reason for the underclock is to keep the CPU as cool as possible, while slowing the fan speeds, to keep the audio fan sound down. I also use asrocks atux software to set up 4 phase power. this has allowed me to get temps down to 100 degrees (f) and barely hotter than that when under light load.

Considering a highend soundblaster card, or something of the like with more audio in options, and ditching the stero system head unti.

=====

I have no doubt that this system will do what its asks to do for a long time to come, and yet...here is my conflict.

XMBC, Mediaportal, WMC, are all very imperfect solutions.

While I use WMC with a Steam short cut to get in and out of big picture mode, to use anything else, netflix, amazon, etc, you go to the metro interface, which leads you to having to use the keyboard, which is just i think silly for the living room. Necessity? yes, but not the remote.

XMBC (now Kali), to do true premium DVR capabilities, still needs WMC to work on the back end, and in the most recent build servewmc dosent work, and even when it does, its a bit slow and not fluid.

Other options dont even do premium cable card, which is a non starter. While I am waiting for the day to ditch cable, its just not today.

I look at the market options, and sadly the xbox one fits the needs, except for DVR. Now I could just put an xbox on the tv, and pipe the htpc throught it, and while its a simple solution, its just one more box in the living room, and my goal is to consolidate everything down.

I have an apple tv as well for my apple content, but dont need it for airplay as thats on the HTPC so that works well enough.

I'll get off my first world problems train, maybe I am just complaining, and ranting, just wish things could be simplier.

I'm not sure if you're post is serious to be quite honest..

You state HTPC, but you have a relatively high-end gaming CPU & GPU paired with 16GB of RAM.. This is not a HTPC build.. This is an ITX Gaming rig..

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

I'm not sure if you're post is serious to be quite honest..

You state HTPC, but you have a relatively high-end gaming CPU & GPU paired with 16GB of RAM.. This is not a HTPC build.. This is an ITX Gaming rig..

Nothing is stopping him from using it as an HTPC. If he'd be playing back 4K60P, then he built the right machine.

It's not just HTPC its for gaming and future proofing of 4k. It's is also not itx, it's full atx in size