Amplifier for AKG K7XX (Massdrop)?

monopolyman

I am going to be getting AKG K7XX within the next week. These will be my first "audiophile" set of headphones, so it's entirely possible they sound amazing to me unamplified (especially in comparison to my X12's), but I won't know if I'm missing anything without an amplifier. Basically, I want to know if an amplifier would make a huge difference in sound (sound quality, not volume. If volume is an issue, I will obviously get an amp).

Note: The two amps I've been looking at are the JDS labs CMoyBB or O2. I will be using these headphones for my computer (ASRock Z77 Extreme4) for the most part, but will also ocasionaly use them for Xbox.

Also, I'm not interested in a DAC, considering ALC898 should be fine for me.

I'm looking for the same thing. I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make, but a review I read (http://www.head-fi.org/t/743280/new-release-the-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-an-exclusive-from-massdrop-and-akg) said they don't sound as good without an amp. I was thinking the Fiio e10 off ebay, it's very good for the price, and it is an amp as well as a dac. I know you only wanted an amp, but the e10 does as well as the JDS Labs cmoy and is cheaper on ebay. The newer version, the e10k, is $75 on amazon, and isn't a huge improvement over the e10. I think I'll probably end up going with it.

Well I've heard different statements about this. Some say (members here) that the Q/K 701 / 702 (very similar headphones) do need an amp to get to its full potential, but others say that an amp didn't make any difference. Unless your sound solution right now is muddy or broken, I don't think it really would make much of a difference. If it doesn't get loud enough for you on onboard, that's your cue to get an amp.

EDIT: But by all means, if you wanna future-proof yourself, an o2 amp is a great choice.

Edited by Lauen

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Well I've heard different statements about this. Some say (members here) that the Q/K 701 / 702 (very similar headphones) do need an amp to get to its full potential, but others say that an amp didn't make any difference. Unless your sound solution right now is muddy or broken, I don't think it really would make much of a difference. If it doesn't get loud enough for you on onboard, that's your cue to get an amp.

EDIT: But by all means, if you wanna future-proof yourself, an o2 amp is a great choice.

I believe it's one of those headphones most people will need an amp for.

I believe it's one of those headphones most people will need an amp for.

Q701 is super inefficient. I tried to drive my 50 ohm HD558 with a nexus 4, still somewhat audible. Plugged Q701, a 60 ohm headphone, barely hear anything at all.

To OP: I would go with JDS / Mayflower's O2 amp or Schiit Magni or Vali, basically a desktop amp

I'm looking for the same thing. I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make, but a review I read (http://www.head-fi.org/t/743280/new-release-the-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-an-exclusive-from-massdrop-and-akg) said they don't sound as good without an amp. I was thinking the Fiio e10 off ebay, it's very good for the price, and it is an amp as well as a dac. I know you only wanted an amp, but the e10 does as well as the JDS Labs cmoy and is cheaper on ebay. The newer version, the e10k, is $75 on amazon, and isn't a huge improvement over the e10. I think I'll probably end up going with it.

I think if I were to get an amp I'd probably go "all out" and get an O2. Mainly because it is such a well regarded amplifier, and I will likely be reviewing various headphones in the future so I don't want to cheap out. Also, I am looking for just an amp because my on board dac should be perfectly fine and also because I want to use these for Xbox too (and you can't use a dac on Xbox afaik).

AKG headphones really like Tube Amps so the Vali would go well with it if you want a cheap amp

AKG headphones really like Tube Amps so the Vali would go well with it if you want a cheap amp

I think I would rather get a solid state because they generally offer a more "transparent sound" (based on what I've read) and I'll probably end up using my amp for reviews.

I think I would rather get a solid state because they generally offer a more "transparent sound" (based on what I've read) and I'll probably end up using my amp for reviews.

Correct. Tube amps hugely change the audio signal.

I think if I were to get an amp I'd probably go "all out" and get an O2. Mainly because it is such a well regarded amplifier, and I will likely be reviewing various headphones in the future so I don't want to cheap out. Also, I am looking for just an amp because my on board dac should be perfectly fine and also because I want to use these for Xbox too (and you can't use a dac on Xbox afaik).

If you want to futureproof yourself, an O2 is a great choice. I'd say go mayflower o2 odac, the only real difference between the two that I know of is that the mayflower has rear power input, which looks better.

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/digital-to-analog-converters/objective2-odac-combo-with-rear-power/