Flashing GPU bios

QAZ

Wasn't sure whether this should be in graphics cards or trouble shooting, sorry if I'm wrong.

One of the fans on one of my r9 290 Tri Xs has been running and higher speeds than all the rest recently so I thought that i would try updating the bios on them to see if that would fix it. However then I started getting bsod and now I cant launch games.

When I try opening up catalyst control centre it says "AMD catalyst control centre cannot be started, there are no settings which can currently be configured with catalyst control centre" or something along those lines. 

Also when i look at the card that I flashed in gpu z, I'm told that it has around 1.2 petabytes of GDDR5 memory which I'm pretty sure is wrong. my other card that I did not flash is giving normal readings. 

I can still run windows through the card that I flashed and I'm still seeing a normal picture.

To the bios I used a bios file that I found on Sapphire's website along with a very brief guide in the form of a power point. It looks like I used atiflash and while following the guide I made a backup of the original bios as original.bin. Could someone please let me know how I would go about reverting the bios on my card to the backup that I made.

Sorry about the wall of words but help would be much appreciated.

i7 4770k currently @ stock | 2x Sapphire r9 290 Tri-x in crossfire | 16 GB GSkill trident X @ 2400 Mhz | Asus z87 Sabertooth | NZXT h440 | NZXT Kraken x60 | Corsair RM1000 | BenQ XL2420TE

Please tell me you made a VBIOS backup before flashing to a new bios?

If you didint you will need to use atiflash.exe on your other working 290 to take a copy of the VBIOS and then reflash it to the broken 290.

---

the fan would be spinning faster (im guessing) on the top card because in Crossfire config the top card is always warmer than the bottom.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

If you didint you will need to use atiflash.exe on your other working 290 to take a copy of the VBIOS and then reflash it to the broken 290.

---

the fan would be spinning faster (im guessing) on the top card because in Crossfire config the top card is always warmer than the bottom.

This guide got me to make a backup under original.bin I tried following a guide to flash it back onto the card but it's not working now either. It warned me that the ssid was different. As for the fans it is only one single fan on the top card and it would spin up even while idling. All the other fans would stay at the same rpm that they have for the past 6 months or so. I'm thinking the fan might be a hardware thing though because it's stopped for now.

i7 4770k currently @ stock | 2x Sapphire r9 290 Tri-x in crossfire | 16 GB GSkill trident X @ 2400 Mhz | Asus z87 Sabertooth | NZXT h440 | NZXT Kraken x60 | Corsair RM1000 | BenQ XL2420TE

---

Also what would be the best way to go about flashing the bios from the other card?

Also what would be the best way to go about flashing the bios from the other card?

Follow this guide: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18552408

It uses ATIFLASH to make a copy > restore.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

This is why things like that should just be done, if you have neough experience...

If you can´t fix that, you´ll have expensive paper weight. The reason why one card was spinning faster than the other is that you´ve got more than one and the card in PCIe slot 1 runs always a bit warmer, when it´s reference design. But using two aftermarket blower style cards means you blow all the time hot air on the back of card #2 and then the fans spin faster because the need to cool much more.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

This is why things like that should just be done, if you have neough experience...

If you can´t fix that, you´ll have expensive paper weight. The reason why one card was spinning faster than the other is that you´ve got more than one and the card in PCIe slot 1 runs always a bit warmer, when it´s reference design. But using two aftermarket blower style cards means you blow all the time hot air on the back of card #2 and then the fans spin faster because the need to cool much more.

I realise that I'm a bit of an idiot but I'm not as stupid as your making me out to be. One single fan out of the three on the top card runs at a higher speed than the other two on the same card. This is not reflective of the speed shown in trixx and it has been spinning up even while idling. The difference in speed in very noticeable and it seems to be spinning at 100% compared to the 30% that the other 5 fans spin at. This also didn't happen for the first 6 months or so that I gave been using this computer for.

I realise that I'm a bit of an idiot but I'm not as stupid as your making me out to be. One single fan out of the three on the top card runs at a higher speed than the other two on the same card. This is not reflective of the speed shown in trixx and it has been spinning up even while idling. The difference in speed in very noticeable and it seems to be spinning at 100% compared to the 30% that the other 5 fans spin at. This also didn't happen for the first 6 months or so that I gave been using this computer for.

I didn´t say you were stupid did I, if so please quote that for me.

And sorry flashing a BIOS on a GPU is dangerous. If you load the wrong version or something is going wrong while you do it you will have paper weight. And this has nothing to do with what I think about you... TBH I don´t even know you so why would I think you´re an idiot or stupid?!?

And maybe you killed that GPU so what? We all learn from our mistakes, or do you think I never fried a CPU or a GPU while OCing?

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I didn´t say you were stupid did I, if so please quote that for me.

And sorry flashing a BIOS on a GPU is dangerous. If you load the wrong version or something is going wrong while you do it you will have paper weight. And this has nothing to do with what I think about you... TBH I don´t even know you so why would I think you´re an idiot or stupid?!?

And maybe you killed that GPU so what? We all learn from our mistakes, or do you think I never fried a CPU or a GPU while OCing?

That's all good. I know that I fucked up pretty bad. What I didn't like was you telling me that my card was behaving normally. Sorry if I came out a little rude but I know for certain that something is wrong.

That's all good. I know that I fucked up pretty bad. What I didn't like was you telling me that my card was behaving normally. Sorry if I came out a little rude but I know for certain that something is wrong.

how did you get on? :P