280mm rands vs 240mm rads

Go to solution Solved by Stav Kats,

The difference between 140mm and 120mm radiators is not, you get 36% more surface area. In single radiators 36% is not that big but when you double that or even triple that then there is tangible performance difference.

If I understood correctly you want to use 120mm fans because they are better. Well, you can buy a 280mm rad and use this bracket to put 120mm fans to 140mm fan holes. 

Hope it helped.

Hi there, I'm trying to decide between putting 2 280mm rads in my preordered 540 or 2 240mm rads in. The one upside to 120mm rads are that there are "more or less" better fans for them. What I don't know is; is what do I gain with 140mm rads? Aside from more "millimeters".

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

Obviously lower temperatures, plus you can run your 140mm fans at lower RPM versus your 120 mm fans resulting in quieter and equal performance if you want.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

The difference between 140mm and 120mm radiators is not, you get 36% more surface area. In single radiators 36% is not that big but when you double that or even triple that then there is tangible performance difference.

If I understood correctly you want to use 120mm fans because they are better. Well, you can buy a 280mm rad and use this bracket to put 120mm fans to 140mm fan holes. 

Hope it helped.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Thanks guys very helpful!

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

Only issue with that bracket, you end up loosing a lot of performance that the 140 could give you, as you are not actively cooling that extra 36%. I would recommend going with decent 140mm fans - Noctua make good ones, as does Silverstone AP's and Bitfenix...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Where can you buy a 280mm rad and what case under $130 can mount it?

Where can you buy a 280mm rad and what case under $130 can mount it?

location?

hate to list a line of suggestions only to find out you cannot get them..

airdeano

location?

hate to list a line of suggestions only to find out you cannot get them..

airdeano

Australia.

This site has the biggest variety in stock (kind of like newegg for Australia).

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25&zenid=315087b51e8db08fa74269e3e4023780

Maybe mention 1-2 that can fit it on the roof with two 140mm fans and 1-2 that can fit it at the front of the case with two 140mm fans.

I'm thinking that the front will get better airflow, but will require longer tubing. So not sure what is the best option yet. Oh by the way. I will NEVER need more than 4 HDD slots, just so you know. Don't need 100 driver bays. However I would prefer 3+ USB slots at the front of the case, two have to be USB3.0. I think BitFenix Shinobi XL is too large, if I go that size I can fit a 360mm rad anyway, but I'm not going that route..