My Nvidia Desktop Build Plan

LIL OBI Logan

Hey guys, I'm planning on building a computer for under $2,000... But I want to make sure I'm not getting bad deals on parts... (all prices after tax's) What I have is a Intel core i7-3770 for $320, ATX intel motherboard $105, 8gb ram $60, Nvidia 660ti EVGA superclocked 3gb $345, Corsair H100i $135, 750W EVGA PS $145, 1tb WD green $100, and 120gb SSD $120 all this would add up to $1,420... Im i getting a bad deal if i buy all if this?

Most of the parts seem reasonably priced, however, it's harder to tell since you haven't mentioned the exact parts you want. You also don't need a 750W power supply unless you plan on adding another graphics card in the future. A quality 550w power supply will be more than enough.

Are you purchasing a case? or do you already have one?

Just some advice when posting something like this. Mention your currency. It's easier to compare prices before tax. Also you should post the specific parts so we know exactly what we're dealing with.

What's the system for? Gaming?If it's just for gaming, the 3770K's performance isn't really needed and you can go with the 3570K which is ideal for gaming and a fair bit cheaper.

Which particular motherboard and SSD are you getting? Your PSU is also pretty overkill - you could get away with something like a Silverstone Strider Plus 600w which is fully modular for about $50 cheaper.

I would also go for either a Seagate Barracuda or WD Black instead of the Green as they are both a fair bit faster than the Green.

Its not the 3770k, its just the i7 3770, im not big on the over clock, and its a 120gb kingston SDD, and this system is for gaming, and video editing, i have the green drive so i can store all the videos on and the SDD to record them with fraps.... And i have that large of a power supply because im going to end up going SLI later... And its an ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

and the case im getting is a rosewill line glow mid size atx case

If you're not overclocking then ditch the H100i and get a CoolerMaster 212 evo. It'll keep the CPU cooler and cool quieter than the stock one. The performance of a liquid cooler or high end cooler isn't needed because you're not overclocking.

If you're recording video, I'd do a couple of things. Firstly boost your 660TI to a 670 or even a 680 (the MSI GTX670 PE and Asus CUII GTX670 both spring mind) as Frap can eat up your graphics power. I would also either get a bigger SSD or a second SSD because once you have your OS and some programs on the SSD there won't be much space left on it and recording 1080P with Fraps can write from memory something like 1-2GB per minute of recording.

What's the system for? Gaming?If it's just for gaming, the 3770K's performance isn't really needed and you can go with the 3570K which is ideal for gaming and a fair bit cheaper.

Which particular motherboard and SSD are you getting? Your PSU is also pretty overkill - you could get away with something like a Silverstone Strider Plus 600w which is fully modular for about $50 cheaper.

I would also go for either a Seagate Barracuda or WD Black instead of the Green as they are both a fair bit faster than the Green.

Oh, and I refuse to have an i5 for gaming haha, if i was going to go with an i5 i would just get an i3 because they are basically the same thing because the i3 has hyper threading... But for gaming purposes I wont go lower than an i7

If you're not overclocking then ditch the H100i and get a CoolerMaster 212 evo. It'll keep the CPU cooler and cool quieter than the stock one. The performance of a liquid cooler or high end cooler isn't needed because you're not overclocking.

If you're recording video, I'd do a couple of things. Firstly boost your 660TI to a 670 or even a 680 (the MSI GTX670 PE and Asus CUII GTX670 both spring mind) as Frap can eat up your graphics power. I would also either get a bigger SSD or a second SSD because once you have your OS and some programs on the SSD there won't be much space left on it and recording 1080P with Fraps can write from memory something like 1-2GB per minute of recording.

I'm not getting an air cooler, sorry, I really don't like them, they're big, and bulky and just don't like them

Its also a 660ti thats over clocked to 3gb, my intel HD 3000 records videos at 30fps... and play League and World of Warcraft and record at 720p and its fine, the 660ti super clocked is more than enough, plus its $100 cheeper than a 670 and a 680

Exactly what windspeed said.

You can get a smaller closed loop cooler to save some money, since the H100i is overkill for stock speeds.

I'm not getting an air cooler' date=' sorry, I really don't like them, they're big, and bulky and just don't like them[/quote']

That's your choice however the H100i is severe overkill because in reality with a non-overclockable CPU, the stock cooler will suffice. It's a waste of $130 to be honest.

Im going to be running the 3770 in turbo boost settings all the time, so I don't feel like getting an H100i would be over kill, it would be more stable than an air cooler and much quieter than an air cooler, plus its cleaner looking than an air cooler... I would much rather spend the $130 for future upgrades, because what if I went to a core i7 x6, an air cooler wouldn't hold up to it... Im buying these kinda parts for future upgrades, not buying parts that are just enough for the now, overkilling on parts isn't bad because it extends the "life" span of your system, and keeping the cpu at a low temp while running applications will keep it very healthy, and your system wouldn't have to work so hard.

Asks for opinion

turns everyones advice down

The worst part is that it's really good advice.

I have no idea where you are from but I'm going to assume USA or Canada due to Rosewill case.

660Ti 3GB - Waste of money, unless you're playing at higher resolutions than 1080p, 2GB VRAM is more than enough. You can get much better price : performance with the 7950 and it also comes with 3GB VRAM for the same price as the 660Ti which is $300.

Corsair H100 has horrible price : performance ratio. Since you're not getting the unlocked version of the 3770 there isn't any need for the cooler, the stock one will just fine though if you really think it'll help you can grab a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for $35 as it'll be more than enough.

I just checked how much the case goes for an it's $54 and isn't the best case you can get for that price. Even if I'm wrong on where you're from it still should not be that price you're listing it as. A great alternative would be the NZXT Source 210 Elite or an Antec Gaming Series One. Both can be found around the same price as the Rosewill.

For a motherboard grab an MSI Z77A-G45 as it'll allow for CrossFireX or SLI in the future if you really need it. It's a great motherboard for a low cost, ~$110.

OP, you asked for feedback and people gave you it regarding your build, we don't suggest things for the sake of it we suggest it because it will benefit you and save you money but you won't have it will you? You throw it back in everyone's face.

I have no idea where you are from but I'm going to assume USA or Canada due to Rosewill case.

660Ti 3GB - Waste of money, unless you're playing at higher resolutions than 1080p, 2GB VRAM is more than enough. You can get much better price : performance with the 7950 and it also comes with 3GB VRAM for the same price as the 660Ti which is $300.

Corsair H100 has horrible price : performance ratio. Since you're not getting the unlocked version of the 3770 there isn't any need for the cooler, the stock one will just fine though if you really think it'll help you can grab a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for $35 as it'll be more than enough.

I just checked how much the case goes for an it's $54 and isn't the best case you can get for that price. Even if I'm wrong on where you're from it still should not be that price you're listing it as. A great alternative would be the NZXT Source 210 Elite or an Antec Gaming Series One. Both can be found around the same price as the Rosewill.

For a motherboard grab an MSI Z77A-G45 as it'll allow for CrossFireX or SLI in the future if you really need it. It's a great motherboard for a low cost, ~$110.

OP, you asked for feedback and people gave you it regarding your build, we don't suggest things for the sake of it we suggest it because it will benefit you and save you money but you won't have it will you? You throw it back in everyone's face.

Maybe he wanted reassurance that his reasoning is the best?

His loss in the end, we tried.

Why would I get an 7950?.. It doesn't support physx, and the case that i had planned got knocked down in price, like today

What's the point in asking for suggestions when you clearly don't want to change your build. I understand if you dislike a suggested part for a particular reason, but you are coming off a little disrespectful when members take their time to try and help you. It seems to me that you'll be sticking with your original build.

I already stated why you should get the 7950, it has better price : performance ratio. Physx has little games that support it and to me it's a gimmick.

All I asked was for if the price's of the build were correct, I didn't ask for suggestions on changing parts... AMD makes okay graphics cards and processors, but I'm not a fan of them... If I wanted to ask for an $800 build I would ask what parts I would need to buy... And I've stated before why I'm getting a liquid cooler, but people keep telling me to get an air cooler.. I've also said why Im not going to get an air cooler... Also the HD 7950, and the 660ti superclocked, have identical performance specs, for the same price.... And I've also stated the I'm going SLI with the video card, and thats the reason behind the power supply... People keep telling me to change my build, when I've already said at the beginning, this is what I'm getting, I'm not changing it, but are the prices of the parts priced correctly.... I'm building the computer then upgrading it when needed, but it's not bad to buy parts before hand to prepare for it... I'm not at fault for telling people no I don't want to do that, because i've already said why I'm buying thoughs parts.