Plex Video Format - Audio Sync Problem

C_Mike

On my Plex server it seems that when a Video is in .mkv format, if I watch it from the beginning the audio is synced fine, but then when I try to skip ahead, or close it down then resume from where I left off, the audio is out of sync.

But when I use .avi videos it is absolutely fine. 

The workaround is to convert all of my .mkv files to .avi, (all 10 seasons of friends is going to take forever :().

I'm ok with doing this (kind of), but I'm just really curious why this happens.

I've noticed a few random audio sync issues with .mkv files. Sometimes it's the file itself, but more often than not after a few seconds it fixes itself. Have you tried skipping ahead and waiting a little bit to let the buffer catch up? What kind of computer are you using as a server and what are you playing plex on? I noticed if I stream from my laptop (server) to my desktop (player) skipping around doesn't effect audio sync at all really. But if I stream from my Raspberry Pi running RasPlex, skipping ahead can cause issues. I can only assume it's because the Pi is vastly underpowered compared to my desktop (video editing rig) and just can't really keep up. Try manually taking down the bitrate settings on your playing device and see if that fixes it as well.