Windows 8 Desktop Freezeup Help Plz

TheVoiceofExile
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

I'd also recommend unplugging all storage drives except your intended SSD OS.

Well guys, some of you may have saw my thread in the "New Builds and Planning" area. I got all that stuff in today, wired everything up, had to re-seat my CPU because of Xigmatek's ABSOLUTLEY TRASH method of AMD CPU hardware, but it posted and all was good. I booted straight into my old SSD so I can clone everything over, logged in, click to go to desktop, and just about 5 seconds afterwards the whole machine freezes and nothing responds. My desktop is just there with the mouse and everything, no blue screens etc. So I restart, try again, everything. Every time I try and go to my desktop, or I am in Windows 8 for more than 30 or so seconds it just freezes.

I'm installing Windows 8 again onto my new SSD so I can make sure it isn't a driver issue, which I believe it is. Any advice on what to try would be great. I can sit on the bios all day so the hardware is fine, but obviously something is up. Below is a summary of what I switched to:

MOBO: Same

CPU: Phenom II X4 Denub Black Edition Quad -> AMD 8320
RAM: 12gb total to 2x4gb Corsair Vengenance

Graphics Card: 5770 -> 7950

PSU: 750 OCZ -> 850 Corsair

SSD: OCZ 60gb Vertex 3 -> Corsair Force 120gb

HDD: WD Blue 640 -> WD Black 1TB

and obviously windows 8

Thanks in advance for any help

What motherboard do you have? I didn't see your build thread.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's definitely not the power phases that's causing the freezing. If you didn't have issues before, I don't see why you'd have them now. I'd suggest doing a clean install of Windows. Also, can you run a RAM test? This won't 100% prove that your RAM is fine or not, but it'll give us an idea.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I did a clean install of Windows just a minute ago. It booted fine the first time, and then I tried to restart it (it wouldn't realize I had my mouse plugged in) and when it came back up it got confused with my old SSD so I selected the new install and got error 0xc0000034. I keep getting that every time I try and boot to the new SSD. I'm recreating my install USB and I'm going to install again.

Interesting problem you got here. Post back the results when done.

It's going now and almost finished, if it doesn't work this time I'll do that. On the upside this graphics card is nice and sexy, and my computer posts on every boot now. So progress has been made lol.

Okay update, at the end of the install I get this in a popup window:

"Windows could not update the commputer's boot configuration. Installatoin cannot proceed."

Okay interesting development, it seems pandora makes my installs go faster....(random things keep me sane at times like this)

But on a serious note. I unplugged all but the new SSD. When I removed the previous partition and formatted (not in that exact order), and created a new partition, I got a 350MB system reserved partition as well. It hasn't done that yet, but it did when I installed on the old SSD. So hopes are higher that this might work.

Okay I actually got the "Windows Needs to restart to continue" prompt. It may have worked this time.

Well here I am from my desktop. Thanks a bunch GodlyGamer. you saved my entire evening. 

No problem.

Okay I lied. Issue isn't fixed. I downloaded a number of drivers and updated windows, restarted, logged in but didn't even make it past the spinning bubbles this time. I tried using my other ram set and that didn't fix it. It freezes at the same point every time. I think it is a windows issue not hardware since I used the computer for about 30 minutes no issues and it only happens after startup/login. I'm going to sleep now however I'll be trying everything tomorrow.

I really don't know what the cause is.