Nintendo Amiibos any one?

watts300

When I heard that the first wave of Amiibos were available for pre-order several weeks ago, I ordered a couple.  Then my better judgement went out the window and I ended up ordering all of them.  

Then IGN's emails let me know about the next ones... and I couldn't not order those, too.    And now there's a third wave that's scheduled to release in February.   Yes, I ordered those this afternoon... except for two that just aren't available any where yet. 

I'm mostly interested in them for the sake of collecting them.  They're pretty near lil' statues/figurines.  I'm not even totally sure what they'll do when used in-game.   I'll find out later -- the first and second waves will be Festivus presents so I have to wait. 

Is there any one else that has gone overboard with Amiibos?   

Or if you're getting one or a few, which ones?  

Nope. But they are neat. They are 12.00 dollars a piece here. So. Kind of expensive.

In Smash they're basically "unlock" a little customisable AI character that "learns" how you play. Which sounds pretty average but the way they do it you kinda feel like it's an actual player rather than just another AI, makes multiplayer modes more interesting when a couple of people have an Amiibo to put on their "team". In Mario Kart they unlock costumes for your Miis and I think it'll be that sort of thing for most of the games. So if you like a character? Well cool, you can unlock a character based item across multiple games. I grabbed Mario and Kirby and they're surprisingly decent so I'll probably end up getting more. Captain Falcon? Megaman? Probably some of those ones.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Nope. But they are neat. They are 12.00 dollars a piece here. So. Kind of expensive.

Ya I wish they could have been a little cheaper.  Now that several have been delivered, I can appreciate the model quality and nice packaging a lot more, but I think it would have been a better fit if they were an even $10.  (US)   Who knows how much that would affect the company's bottom line, though. I don't imagine they have a large profit margin.   I'm sure there is profit, but I'm would guess that they're mostly as a way to lure people to buying more software.   .... which is where the real money is.  

In Smash they're basically "unlock" a little customisable AI character that "learns" how you play. Which sounds pretty average but the way they do it you kinda feel like it's an actual player rather than just another AI, makes multiplayer modes more interesting when a couple of people have an Amiibo to put on their "team". In Mario Kart they unlock costumes for your Miis and I think it'll be that sort of thing for most of the games. So if you like a character? Well cool, you can unlock a character based item across multiple games. I grabbed Mario and Kirby and they're surprisingly decent so I'll probably end up getting more. Captain Falcon? Megaman? Probably some of those ones.

That sounds pretty neat.  The multiplayer enhancement seems enticing.   I'll enjoy using them (hopefully we can keep some boxed up. ha!) but I think I'll like having them more as collectibles.  My kid will want to open them all though.  It might be a battle. :P

I hope Nintendo keeps making a lot of software that uses them.  

• 2 weeks later...

I´m not the kind of guy who likes to keep figurines, amiibo´s didn't convinced me when they were announced. When I went to pick up my copy of Smash Bros. and saw the amiibo´s, I bought 6 of them without thinking it twice lol. Yoshi, Marth, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Link and Samus. They look really nice, I also have Mario Kart 8 and I like racing with them.

I´m not the kind of guy who likes to keep figurines, amiibo´s didn't convinced me when they were announced. ..., I bought 6 of them without thinking it twice lol. ...

haha.  Sounds like your a guy with many conflicting feelings.  :P